Advanced search


(5 Posts)
Cassimin Fri 02-Jun-17 10:19:08

You need to register as self employed.
You don't usually have to pay tax as the allowances are very generous.
You get a personal allowance and an allowance for each child. We have one child long term and I pay no tax.
I have a birth child and my partner is on a low income so we claim working tax credit and child tax credit for birth child.

Twopots Thu 01-Jun-17 07:53:03

You will need to fill in your tax form every year but in most cases you won't have to pay anything and so will still be entitled to the benefits you are currently recieving

feelingoldandtired Wed 31-May-17 23:28:27

Why should you be paying takes are you in the U.K. ?

Flower20166 Tue 30-May-17 20:11:34


OP’s posts: |
Flower20166 Tue 30-May-17 20:11:27

I'm a foster carer who didn't realise I should be paying taxes!
I've been fostering for almost 2 years now.

At the moment I claim income support whilst I have a placement and job seekers allowance when I don't. I also get council tax reduction and free prescriptions/dental treatment etc whilst claiming these.

My question is, if I register as self employed, I'm under the impression that I can claim working tax credit, is that right? Do you know how much it is a week (income support and job seekers is around £70 a week).
Also win WTC can I still get council tax reduction and free prescriptions etc?

Thankyou for your time

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in