Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Do foster parents get a set amount of money for extra curricular activities?

(17 Posts)
AquaMorgan Tue 23-May-17 15:44:54

Hi, looking for some advice. My Ex's sister's son (aged 11) is in foster care. He is recently in a new placement. I'm allowed to see him a couple of times a month. He used to do tennis and that was his only extra curricular but he loved it. I'm being told that "he isn't allowed to do it as there isn't in enough money" from him. I'm just wondering if this would be true?

colourfull Tue 23-May-17 20:46:38

for us it is part of our allowance, so no set amount. But the LA would take a very dim view if a lac were not allowed to do out of school activities, they are an expected part of life.

Ditsy1980 Tue 23-May-17 20:53:32

I know that in certain placements foster carers have to be careful with what they spend on the children as it has to correlate to what is available with the family. So if a child was placed with a foster carer while assessments were ongoing and they wanted to pay for tennis lessons but the birth family couldn't afford that and there is a chance child will be returned to birth family the tennis lessons would not be able to go ahead. It is so the birth family are not at a disadvantage/ can't compete financially.

However, if nephew was already doing this I don't see why it wouldn't continue.

EweAreHere Tue 23-May-17 20:56:36

Tennis is a particularly expensive sport in most areas (lessons, coaching, club memberships).

It doesn't seem fair that he' s already lost so much and has to give up more...

DaffodilTime Tue 23-May-17 21:01:09

I think that's a bit harsh not to let him as I looked into fostering and was surprised at how generous the funding is. As a foster parent if I ever was one surely you'd want the best for each child and this is a healthy, positive thing to be into. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the money the family is given should easily cover extras like this surely ?

SilenceOfThePrams Tue 23-May-17 21:08:23

Allowances vary hugely across the country.

Who used to pay?

You could mention it to his SW, or to the Independent Reviewing Officer; there may be some additional discretionary payments available if there genuinely isn't enough within the basic fostering allowance.

The tennis club themselves may also have bursaries available, and there are charities (but I can't remember which now - variety club maybe but not certain) who will fund training for disadvantaged young people - being Looked After would qualify.

Garnethair Tue 23-May-17 22:35:29

We've always had to pay for everything for our looked after children from our fostering allowance. Drew the line at flying lessons which one boy was having though ..

Veryflummoxed Wed 24-May-17 07:35:33

Suggest that she speaks to the social worker. She can also bring it up at the placement review with the independent reviewing officer. It would be usual to support and encourage a child's interests and if finance is an issue there are charitable organisations that might support. Bear in mind though that there could be reasons other than finance for the activity not taking place.

feelingoldandtired Wed 24-May-17 22:21:02

I am a foster carer and it would not be cost I would take into account I would need to think about my birth children. Transportation and other commitments through the week such as contact if I am travelling to school and then contact and also picking up from friends anything on top of that I would need to consider as other members of the family may need me.

bexollie Fri 26-May-17 21:19:31

It's all very well doing theses activities but you have to be realistic and when the child goes home will the parents appreciate it ,they might not have the finances available to carry on with it and then this could cause issues as the child may want to carry on.

Cassimin Fri 02-Jun-17 10:30:23

I would second having a word with the child's social worker.
The child should also be receiving savings and pocket money.
Both my and my fc social worker check this on a regular basis.
Of course the child should be able to do activities, if it is a case of the carer saying there is no money this is terrible.
Out fc attends many clubs and activities and these cost approx £40 per week.
If there is no time for the carer to take them then maybe the carer should try and get someone else to take them. Looking after the child is their job.

MerryInthechelseahotel Fri 02-Jun-17 20:15:54

Cassimin some fc's in some areas of the country would not have much left from their allowance if they spent £40 a week on after school activities hmm Do you foster with an agency as there is a huge difference in money available?

Cassimin Mon 05-Jun-17 14:17:51

Yes, we are with an agency.
Our LA pay the same as the agency after training though.
I choose to take our foster child to activities, other carers choose not to.
I encouraged my birth children to try lots of different activities and would not treat fc any differently.

Keepcalmanddrinkcoffee Sat 10-Jun-17 02:05:21

I foster for the La. The allowance is to spend on the child on whatever you think best. FC goes to swimming lessons, horse riding and cubs.
If he was to go home these would stop but he would have the happy memories of going. Also swimming lessons he could have acquired a new life skill.

motherchuckinhen16 Wed 14-Jun-17 12:57:27

I also foster for a LA. I was allowed to claim back money for swimming lessons for the last child I fostered from the children's team. Any other activities were paid for out of the child's weekly allowance.
If you feel that the tennis lessons are of real benefit then my advice is to state your case to the child's social worker, emphasizing the benefits to him emotionally socially etc. We often have to fight for these type of things for our LACs.

Fostercare Thu 06-Jul-17 01:22:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Queenofthedrivensnow Sun 09-Jul-17 16:55:13

Depends if your la gives personal education allowance or not - some do and it can be up to £500 a year and it comes from education budget agreed at pep meetings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now