Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Short breaks scheme

(2 Posts)
MumtoMany333 Sat 22-Apr-17 19:24:47

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am looking into the possibility of becoming a foster carer. I have young children at home and am particularly interested in the short breaks scheme offered by our local council. Basically, the child comes to your house for tea one night after school and you might take them out for the day at the weekend. Does anybody do anything like this? I am interested to know what it is like. Many thanks

miwelaisjacydo Wed 21-Jun-17 07:02:56

I do short breaks caring not through fotering but through direct payments. ( I knew the family and the family employ me but am paid by social services.)

The only reason I didn't do the whole fostering was because it would have taken up to 12 months to be approved. You are assessed the same as regular foster caters. We pulled out of this despite a good home visit because we felt it wasn't right for us.

For me I have said child 12 sleepovers a year. So once a month he comes to stay. We do loads but usually it's mundane things like shopping as this offers opportunities for him to practice his social skills etc.

It's very rewarding but it's hard work and constant.

The more level of needs the child has the more you get paid.

I do love doing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now