Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Respite foster care

(5 Posts)
xcaramel Sun 09-Apr-17 02:35:16

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone can push me into the right direction for respite care? Any agencies you can recommend? Is it possible to offer respite care for parents who do not wish to do this through foster care?


xcaramel Sun 09-Apr-17 02:35:43

Also I am looking to do this in London

Claramarion Fri 14-Apr-17 15:05:05

You can not offer this without going through social services and frankly I don't understand why you would want to you would be putting yourself at a
Lot of risks of litigation.

SilenceOfThePrams Fri 14-Apr-17 15:11:05

It is possible to offer private fostering arrangements. If you are looking at children with disabilities, then it is sometimes possible to do respite care through Direct Payments.

You still need to be DBS checked, SS still need to be informed if you look after a child over a certain number of nights per year, and payments via DPs are all fully taxable, whereas fostering allowances from LA or from approved Indeoendent Fostering Agencies are largely tax free and invisible for income purposes.

If you're setting up privately you will need to be aware of all the regulations to avoid being considered an unlicensed children's home. You may still require checks and inspections, you will require insurance, and you will need very careful paperwork.

Personally I'd go the Local Authority route, or if you have issues with your own LA then I'd approach IFAs working in your area and neighbouring LAs.

fasparent Sun 16-Apr-17 23:13:14

You will have too conform with all Statutory requirement's if Private
Safeguarding, 1st Aid, SUDs, Insurance and more important Required
OFSTED Registration, and lots more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: