Advanced search


(8 Posts)
Eggsbutnobacon Tue 24-Jan-17 17:47:37

I know the use of DLA has been discussed before but my 8 year old lo has recently been granted It and I am not altogether sure what I am allowed to use it for or what should still be coming out of my paid fostering allowance.

Another foster carer I know takes her lo and his sibling on a child friendly holiday abroad once a year, naturally the DLA pays for her and her dh to accompany them as the children obviously can't go alone.

I don't want to ask my SSW without doing some research first as I don't want her throwing up her hands in horror and saying that's not what DLA is meant for if it's not. My argument would be that she wouldn't get the opportunity to go abroad unless I used her DLA.

Has anybody any experience please?

OP’s posts: |
Eggsbutnobacon Tue 24-Jan-17 21:42:36

Anybody please?

OP’s posts: |
Cassimin Wed 25-Jan-17 21:22:30

I've been getting dla for my fc for 3 years, never had to explain what it is spent on by either their or my Sw.
When my new sw came said I needed to make notes and keep receipts if what it is spent on.
She did say that if we used it on holidays that were considered helpful for the child this was acceptable.
The thought of keeping receipts seems ridiculous to me though.
I added up all the clubs the child attended, car parking fees, and various other thing that I provided that other carers that didn't have child with sn didn't and it came to more than dla.
This didn't include things like extra heating bills as child has sensory issues and won't wear clothes, sensory items, paying for days out with child's family as they can't/won't stay with them alone.
I also attend lots of training that other carers don't in order to educate myself to make my child's life better all of this is at a cost to me never mind my time.

Cassimin Wed 25-Jan-17 21:25:36

Forgot to mention that we take the child on at least 2 holidays abroad each year, we make sure that these holidays are child friendly and not the sort of holidays we as a family would go on.

Eggsbutnobacon Thu 26-Jan-17 14:25:42

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

OP’s posts: |
Welshmum99 Thu 26-Jan-17 16:18:57

I'm new to this so if you don't mind me asking what does DLA stand for please

Eggsbutnobacon Thu 26-Jan-17 17:21:31

Disability living allowance.

It's awarded to children and young people who you can prove need more care and attention than a "normal" child of their age ( please don't take offence at the wording , it's the only way I can think to describe it. )

For example my lo cannot be left unsupervised playing outside on their own as they have no concept of danger, cannot get dressed without supervision as is constantly distracted. Would block the toilet up with toilet paper all the time, leave the tap running, and many many other things.

There are 2 components, a care component and a mobility component so the award can differ significantly between children depending on their needs. The form is quite involved and it's best if you can provide evidence from a professional ( teacher, dr, psychologist etc) stating how your child needs more care than the usual.

Also it's worth bearing in mind that if the child is awarded DLA , then the foster carer can also apply for a carers allowance in addition to your normal fostering allowance ( this is means tested but usually fostering income is disregarded).

Hope this helps.

OP’s posts: |
fasparent Thu 26-Jan-17 21:20:13

Many may not know this can also qualify for care element for baby's from age 3 month's effected with significant disorders.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in