Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

thinking of giving up

(11 Posts)
mandiii1975 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:23:51

Im on month five of waiting for a placement and after being told that we would be in demand because we were willing to take any age, any sex, culture etc, we havent even had an inkling of a referral. My husband is a child psychologist and I have worked with traumatized children for 25 years and fostered successfully before. We have two spare big bedrooms and our children really enjoyed fostering before.
We were so looking forward to fostering again but now I feel like giving up.Its not a money issue as I've kept my job. Feel like giving up because the waiting and disappointment everytime the phone rings is doing my head in.

Aftertheraincomesthesun Thu 12-Jan-17 15:11:54

Are you with an agency or LA?

mandiii1975 Thu 12-Jan-17 17:14:04

Agency. Was with the la but the support was appalling. I know I'd possibly get more referrals from la but they have got worse not better

Aftertheraincomesthesun Thu 12-Jan-17 19:27:37

Is there one person at the agency that deals with referrals on a day to,day basis? I would ask them how many referrals they are getting every day and how many they are placing.

elfish Thu 12-Jan-17 21:26:12

sounds to me that with your level of expertise the are keeping you in reserve for a child not easily managed by other foster carers.

if this is the case it is obviously not on and you need to be clear that you will take whatever comes through the door

mandiii1975 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:57:22

They keep telling me that its where I live but its never stopped me fostering before.

Aftertheraincomesthesun Fri 13-Jan-17 17:08:31

Where you live? I don't understand that. Are you in the middle of nowhere? Do the other carers with your agency have vacancies?

mum2tots Fri 13-Jan-17 19:52:00

There is a real cut back on child services and LA's will now place with own carers at all costs before looking to an agency. You should ring your local La and see what agencies they approach first because they have an order. Maybe the one you are with lost a contract or slipped down the list.

Flower20166 Sat 14-Jan-17 19:40:40

What about going with a neighbouring LA?

mandiii1975 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:25:44

I did think about going to a neighboring la but worrying about how long its going to take to transfer

Flower20166 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:55:02

It's worth enquiring. Hopefully they could just use or update your form F and then a panel date!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now