Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Hypothetical kinship fostering questions.

(3 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Sun 20-Nov-16 18:37:39

I have a few questions about a situation and if it were to arise what would happen etc.
Please be gentle with me, I know these things have many variables and it's not an easy road.

Basically, if a member of the family has a child that is assessed as at risk under child protection and is eventually taken from the parent, would we be deemed as a suitable home for the child?
We're lacking in space but we could have the child in a room with our own child of the same sex.
We have children of our own that have disabilities that take a fair bit of extra care.
Would these things make us unsuitable to care for this child?
Would there have to be a formal assessment or would we have to take courses or anything?

My parents fostered when I was a child but never a family member.
I don't want to put us forward should it come to it and get hopes up if it wasn't an option. TIA.

crispandcheesesanwichplease Sun 20-Nov-16 20:29:04

Hi tits, I've just posted about this in response to another op in the adoption section, you might find it helpful.

I think it is a basic that any fostered child has a bedroom of their own but as I said on the other thread, the local authority may waive this condition if it would be in the child's overall best interest to be in your care.

You are welcome to pm me.

Jude2016 Mon 30-Jan-17 10:37:37

Would you be looking at getting SGO order for the child or continue to foster? As we have taken on my nieces both at the ages of 8 weeks old. We we already have SGO of the eldest now 16 month and going to court march for my 16 week old niece.
I have 4 kids of my own and the girls are sharing with my little 4 year old girl and it was made clear in the fostering assessments and SGO assessments that that would be the case an it never went against us x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now