Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

What is happening in Fostering right now

(4 Posts)
Yukduck Thu 18-Aug-16 15:26:13

Is there still a national shortage of foster carers?
Are Local Authorities still in financial crisis?
Do we have a shortage of children's services social workers?

It has all gone very quiet of late. Post Brexit, now the dust has settled, has anything changed? Has Brexit eased things or the opposite?

I am not a foster carer but family members have been, and I have always worked in mental health care, so I am always interested!

WalthamForestFostering Wed 24-Aug-16 14:26:58

Hi,

Yes there is still a national shortage of foster carers, over 9,000 more fostering households urgently needed during 2016.

Yukduck Fri 26-Aug-16 11:43:04

Hi Waltham. Seems like Brexit has not made any difference. I was hoping for some happy feelings that it had lessened the onerous rules surrounding fostering and helped in some way to ease the shortage of foster carers.
Not sure how but sometimes blessings come in mysterious ways!
We had massive recruitment drives in our LA a few years ago but it has all gone quiet now and we no longer see adverts in our local newspaper and on busses. I was just wondering if all was ok now but see it is not really much different, just gone quiet.

Claramarion Wed 31-Aug-16 22:04:31

There is still a shortage of foster Carers but this can be for many reasons it is very hard at times to
Find foster Carers who deal with teenages with complex needs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now