Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Adapted housing

(4 Posts)
willowrose30 Thu 23-Jun-16 14:16:04

Hi all.
We currently rent a 3 bed house with one bathroom. Our long term fc has a disability and special needs. I anticipate that he is going to need an adapted bathroom and preferably a downstairs bathroom also in the near future. He is 12 and needs assistance getting in and out of the bath etc.
My question is are we entitled to any help either from the local authority or renting an adapted house and using some of the DLA money to help with the significant rise in rent that we couldnt afford otherwise if we had to move.
Many thanks.

Pheobe1 Thu 23-Jun-16 17:53:47

I think you will need to discuss this with your LA. Ours do pay for extensions and home improvements for carers in certain cases. They would rather do that than have placements disrupted.

ThreeLeggedCat Thu 23-Jun-16 18:02:59

I might be totally wrong, but can you contact private sector housing at your council and ask about a Disabled Facility Grant?

3PurpleCrocs Fri 24-Jun-16 12:11:32

You need to speak to your support worker, but I know my LA have paid for extensions and adaptions before. This was many years ago though, I'm not sure whether they still would in today's financial climate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now