Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

where to gain experience with children

(6 Posts)
millar68 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:39:16

have just had home visit and been advised to gain experience with children as we don't have our own. currently both working, can anyone suggest where to go out of normal working hours.

ThornyBird Sun 07-Feb-16 19:46:27

Volunteer with a youth group? Obvious ones are Guiding/Scouting but there are all sorts of clubs (rugby, football, martial arts, dance etc) that might accept you in a voluntary role if you have an interest and can help.

3PurpleCrocs Sun 07-Feb-16 20:00:27

Do to have a local volunteer centre? They should know of local groups asking for help.

What age are you looking to foster? Guides/Scouts is a good suggestion as they'll usually pay for your CRB (or whatever its new name is!) but isn't much use if you're looking to foster babies - in which case a local nursery would maybe be more apt (May require using a bit of leave from work though as most close around 6.30) Schools have after school clubs which sometimes have parent helpers, maybe ask at a few of your local ones?

I did some "work/life experience" at our local hospital too when I was first starting out. It was invaluable as I was beginning my fostering career looking after babies born addicted/withdrawing from drugs but I'm not sure I'd have been accepted to do this without help from my supporting SW at the time.

Good luck! I enjoyed some of my volunteer work so much that i still help out now.

fasparent Mon 08-Feb-16 12:52:17

Would enlist your services too local voluntary services easy too contact may be able too offer a broader range of experience or be open too suggestions for you.

millar68 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:34:00

thank you for replying and keep you posted how we get on

FosteringMummy2 Wed 24-Feb-16 14:29:00

Try volunteering at your local youth club in the evenings. Also, do you have any friends or family with children so you could get some hands on carer experience? Let us know how you get on and good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now