Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

christmas presents

(16 Posts)
sumum Mon 09-Nov-15 13:22:47

how much do you spend on your foster child at christmas?

2PurpleCrocs Mon 09-Nov-15 16:08:59

We are given £100 to spend on presents but usually end up spending much more as party dresses, trips to Santa and visits to the Panto etc cost more and more each year. This year looks set to beat them all as FCs (large) extended family have already told her the presents they want (and as she's 6 she won't be buying them herself!)

Cassimin Mon 09-Nov-15 21:16:43

We spend the same as on our own children. This years main present is a wii u and games. Will also get board games and Lego. Our little one only has contact with mum and dad and only gets a little present from them. Our family also buy presents as if they are our own.
Have already bought main present and Christmas clothes so it's just extras now.

FannyFanakapan Mon 09-Nov-15 23:06:46

I have already spent the ££ given by the LA for each of ours. Actually one gets significantly more than the other, so we even it out. Ive spent about £150 on each, and I will probably spend another £20 on stocking fillers each. Like 2 purple crocs, we have many many siblings to buy for also - realistically we are looking at a tenner each there. Plus Christmas activities, party frocks etc. And stuff to make them feel like they are part of the family - so some Christmas ornaments, a Christmas stocking, an advent calendar like our kids have (they dont want to share).

I dont begrudge them. But it cooks my swede that the SW try and dictate how we spend their allowances, especially when it doesnt take into account things like big sibling groups.

Kitsandkids Tue 10-Nov-15 11:19:55

I'm not spending too much on actual presents, because I have a massive family and last year they ended up with loads. Plus stuff from their birth family. So far I've bought slippers, dressing gowns, a new shirt for each, and will also get a few books and some playmobil for them plus probably a few stocking filler novelties like chocolate coins.

But, it's the 'extra stuff' that I love at Christmas. Like a trip to the panto, going around Christmas markets, making Christmas crafts. Plus there's an ice rink and funfair coming to our town this year so I daresay we'll spend a bit of money there. I don't have birth kids, but my two boys are staying with me long term and are considered by all my family 'my children,' so I am trying to do what I think I would do if I did have birth children.

2PurpleCrocs Wed 11-Nov-15 11:54:24

Kits do you not have to provide receipts for your spending? I used to use some of the given "present" money for trips out etc but this year we've been told we have to provide receipts for each item bought (and yes that includes the £1 stocking fillers!) and it's for presents only. We're all fuming and evidence gathering to show other LAs are not doing this.

FannyFanakapan Wed 11-Nov-15 16:40:33

I can tell you Surrey doesn't do this.....How Ridiculous! But then there are a lot of FCs in this for the money and I know of people that really dont do anything with the kids and begrudge every penny spent.

Candleabras Wed 11-Nov-15 18:04:02

My LA doesn't do that either, pm me OP I'd you want to know which authority. I get £185 for Xmas for dfd from my LA, dfd's Xmas list comes to £190, so that's that gone!

Kitsandkids Thu 12-Nov-15 20:51:21

My LA doesn't ask for receipts or insist it has to be used on physical presents. I would not be best impressed if they did!

fasparent Fri 13-Nov-15 16:31:17

Christmas can be difficult presents for here and there many more than BC's more often than not.
Stopped doing it many years ago , just buy a token now, spend it other ways instead, Themed week end show away from home , Age related gig's or show's , works better for us and also works as inclusion's, can take all including Birth children too , so all are included and have a great time as a family. May work out more expensive but find it's worth it.

fasparent Fri 13-Nov-15 17:25:59

Example booked ticket for x Factor Tour last year, FC'S were Gobsmacked when they got there tickets on Christmas day, also done theme weekend's at Holiday Camps, always a hit.

wonderpants Fri 13-Nov-15 17:29:14

Our small Christmas allowance has always ended up being spent on birth family, mainly presents for siblings. I expect to spend what I spend on my birth children on my foster children, the presents are from me, not the LA.

sumum Mon 16-Nov-15 23:29:57

thanks for replies, my la doesn't give us anything at all extra for christmas or indeed birthdays

i have three kids to buy for at home, one birth child and two lac and am struggling to tone it down this year.

i have bought them all a 3ds plus a game and case for it for main present, that has set me back £450, was thinking of £50 or maybe £100 gift voucher for clothes for teenage girl and for games for the older boy and one more substantial gift for the younger one, they will also get presents from everyone in my family plus the lac get a gift from their sw so i have to buy one more for birth child.

they will all get new pj's, slippers, board game & dvd on christmas eve and stocking fillers of sweets and smellies on christmas day plus a stocking with card game, crayons and snacks- is this enough, i am fed up of being swamped by toys and gifts that clutter up the place and just get trashed as the lac find looking after their stuff really hard, and tbh sometimes they do not appreciate what they get.

we also go to pantomime and out for a special theme park/activity day and a christmassy posh meal out

long term placement so this is the 7th christmas with these kids , its just that their present pile is going to be really small this year and i know i will be so tempted to dash out on christmas eve and panic buy stuff to make bigger piles

please tell me to be strong and this is enough, they still have stationary/puzzles from last christmas untouched and anything breakable is broke by january

Candleabras Tue 17-Nov-15 23:04:51

Your situation sounds similar to mine. 7th Xmas also with dfd for me.

You sound incredibly generous with your gifts, far more than most lac get, I'm sure. I've spent about £250 on my dfd. But its all clothes and accessories as instructed.

I have already bought all presents, and wrapped them, and the pile looks very small, even though it cost £250 so I don't know if my resolve will break before Christmas. We are also going to the pantomime.

Don't know about you but my DFD is very materialistic so the size of the piles matter.

I just where you're coming from.

Yourarejokingme Tue 15-Dec-15 12:26:20

I have spent the allowance I was given and extras on top which amounts to about £30 extra for all 3 as they came as a family group.

sumum Tue 15-Dec-15 17:42:28

i've caved and also brought them all a kindle fire when they were on offer for £35, hopefully it will encourage their reading

mind you my 13year old said she hated it when people give vouchers as a gift esp if it is for just for one clothes shop, she said it the very day i had been out and got her a £100 voucher for new look!

i was fshock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now