Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

What's expected to become approved to foster?

(10 Posts)
Kangaroosjump Thu 30-Jul-15 16:03:46

I don't think we're going to be approved for adoption, still looking at that but I just don't feel fulfilled having an only child but wondering if even if you don't get approved for adoption you'd still possibly be able to foster?

Gymbob Thu 30-Jul-15 16:29:35

why do you think you won't be approved, can you tell us?

alwayhappytohelp Thu 30-Jul-15 19:05:47

If you were turned down for Adoption. You have to declare that application to any other agency. If you withhold that information and later up the road this is discovered. There would be serious question why the information was withheld. Some Adoption agencies will advise individuals that are turn down to try fostering. Others would perhaps not take individuals for the same reasons the Adoption agency turned down the individual.

Kangaroosjump Fri 31-Jul-15 10:36:48

History of mental health and we did seperate due to the stress of it for a few years

Gymbob Fri 31-Jul-15 13:56:17

I don't think that there's an across the board ruling. they will look at the reasons why, your treatment, how you recovered and the chances of you becoming ill again.

in lots of cases, the opinion seems to be that our history has equipped us with invaluable life skills. thats certainly the case with us. if I told you our history you'd go shock shock shock

CateringCalamities Fri 31-Jul-15 14:59:25

I have a history of mental health. Before we applied and through the assessment if I am honest I thought it would stop us.
We have been approved now 16 months.
Please don't give up hope.
Good luck and keep us posted grin

Kangaroosjump Fri 31-Jul-15 15:09:32

That's encouraging to hear. I've left our details with a few places and now waiting to get more info

Does anyone have experience of fostering babies on emergency placement? As my DS is still small I was led to believe that may be easier to become approved for

I imagine that might be incredibly difficult emotionally but i think DS is young enough to adapt to it

CateringCalamities Fri 31-Jul-15 15:34:09

The LA I foster for no longer approves carers for just babies as there appears to be a huge oversupply of them. They approve for 0-18 and then you have a preference as to what fits in with the family and your experience and types of behaviours you would be comfortable with. I do think if you only want babies you would be in for a longer wait to get a child placed. From talking to other carers and sw's they seem to be desperate for carers for teens and sibling groups.
Saying that, I don't know which area you in and all LA and Agencies seem to have different rules.

scarlet5tyger Fri 31-Jul-15 17:22:48

Hi, I don't think your history would rule you out but I think limiting yourself to babies may. My LA (and all others I know of) have plenty of baby carers - I'm technically a baby carer but haven't had a baby for several years now so had to change to 0-18. But if an emergency baby placement was needed its likely my LA would use me (or other long approved carers) before a new carer.

And moving on babies is VERY tough emotionally.

riveravon23 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:10:31

In my area also there is a low demand for baby only foster carers, and, as others have said, CS would probably not begin assess new carers who only wanted babies. There is a huge need for those wanting to foster teenagers and larger sibling groups however.

As regards your previous mental health issues, I always believe that those who have been through such difficulties, can have a much greater understanding and empathy when caring for children with complicated past issues. It can almost be seen as a strength rather than a weakness. Good luck, OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now