Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Kinship fostering?

(3 Posts)
Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Sun 31-May-15 00:09:54

Hi there. I'd appreciate any advice. I've name changed so as to avoid any linking in real life.

Basically we have recently found out that a young relative of mine is at risk of being put into care sad
The details I have are sketchy and I don't know how this works. There has been some sort of hearing/meeting but the child is still with the mum at present I believe though am not 100% sure.
No one else in our family would step up. And I honestly don't know if we can either but we want to find out more about the options.

Who would we contact? The social worker I guess but how? I know the mums name and address obviously, and the child's name and dob. Do I just ring their LA (it's a different one to us)- what team would I ask for? And what on earth do I say??

I am worried that obviously the mum knows where we live. If she is unstable and unhappy about her child being taken into care this could present problems and I have children already to think of.

Any experience, advice, anything really would be desperately gratefully received. Thank you

TongueBiter Sun 31-May-15 00:20:53

Speak to Family Fostering team and say you'd like to express your interest in taking on the child.

Family Rights Group ( will be able to give you pointers. SS will probably push you towards a Special Guardianship Order but it's an intrusive path to achieve, and not all SWs are au fait with the ins and outs of it.

Dontyouopenthattrapdoor Sun 31-May-15 08:52:59

Thank you, that's really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now