Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

References?

(6 Posts)
ohoneybeeo Wed 03-Dec-14 12:42:17

I'm in the process of becoming a foster parent.
A social worker is coming next week to get the names of people who will give me a references.
I was just wondering how many I will need to give? And can one be a family member?
Thanks

Kitsandkids Wed 03-Dec-14 21:17:41

Don't know about every LA but mine asked for 2 references and neither were allowed to be family. I think they have to have known you for at least 2 years as well. My husband and I chose one friend of mine and one friend of his. His had 2 young children, and mine works with children, so we felt they were well placed to recommend us to look after children.

mum2tots Thu 04-Dec-14 12:52:26

By the time we went to panel we'd had to have 5 references between us. I think the norm is 2 references known you for more than 2 years and not family.

CateringCalamities Thu 04-Dec-14 14:31:56

We had to have 6 references, one of which was my eldest son, and one my DH daughter. Social Services interviewed 2 of the other referees and also all the children, either by telephone or in person.

ohoneybeeo Sun 07-Dec-14 21:02:08

Thanks all. He came on Friday and I had to have 2 non relative references (whom I've known for at least 2 years), and 1 family reference.

JacobMalloy02 Tue 16-Dec-14 16:22:14

After the Brighton and Hove review, many agencies require 6 references with the expectation they will physically visit 3. Good luck with you application!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now