Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Support for son's friend in abusive situation

(3 Posts)
phoenixraven Fri 21-Nov-14 14:05:18

My son's friend is 17 years old and experiences regular emotional and slightly less regular physical abuse from his single mother. We are considering offering him a place in our house and family and wonder if anyone has any experience/advice as to how to move forward with this i.e. fostering, housing benefits for him, and general financial support to enable this to work?

MarmiteChocolate Sat 22-Nov-14 21:30:36

hi, sorry to hear about your friends son going thru this thanks

As he's 17, he cannot be accommodated as a fostered child. He would be entitled to some benefits dependent on his circumstances (eg working / at college / unemployed). Does he want to leave? He could approach his local housing office and present as homeless which may lead to an offer of supported accommodation.

You could support him to link in with other local support services - counselling, connexions, youth support etc.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Wed 03-Dec-14 16:39:53

17 year olds absolutely can be accommodated under section 20 if their needs warrant it. Southwark judgement rules of 2009?10? Not sure. He needs to phone social services and request a social care assessment.

Better though would be for you to offer him a room and he gets a job and pays you keep. You can't just foster him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now