Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Planning a baby whilst fostering

(7 Posts)
kittymonkeymummy Fri 07-Nov-14 11:41:05

Hello all, a friend has 2 LT foster children aged 7 and 9 and the placement is going really well. She and her husband are thinking about having own child. Do you think they would lose the placement and would have to stop fostering if she got pregnant? Many thanks!

wonderpants Fri 07-Nov-14 13:47:57

I think that is something your friend would have to ask her supervising social worker. I'm not sure anyone here could answer that without knowing any details of the placement!

kittymonkeymummy Fri 07-Nov-14 17:19:18

Thanks wonderpants - I said the same, as the outcome may be different depending on the circumstances, however she's concerned they will just assume she will get pregnant and just force her to stop fostering altogether.

Has anyone ever got pregnant and continued fostering - or did you have to stop until your child was older?

wonderpants Fri 07-Nov-14 17:44:00

They will work in the best interest of the children!
Surely they covered this in the assessment. We had to discuss in detail whether our family was complete, what contraception we used etc.

scarlet5tyger Fri 07-Nov-14 19:10:27

I know quite a few carers who've started, or added to, families after becoming foster carers. None of them have had to change anything.

If the placement's going well I can't see why it would be any different for your friend. It's hard enough to find LT placements for children in the first place, never mind moving children who're already settled.

Of course all LAs are different...

suzylee73 Tue 11-Nov-14 18:07:03

Having a baby is a normal part of family life and would not normally affect a placement, I know a few carers that have had babies smile and continued to foster.

Wonderpants, I can't believe they asked you about contraception!!! If I heard about a social worker asking potential foster carers that I would report them

newfostercarer Sun 21-Dec-14 01:45:44

Sorry, not really answering the question, but I just had to add to this, when I read wonderpants post and suzylee's answer... unfortunately we too were grilled and interrogated during our assessment several times about what contraception we used and our referees were asked if we were trying/hoping for our own children... despite the assessing sw and LA knowing we are infertile and we explained we had turned a page and really wanted to foster, but they wanted proof that there was no chance of us becoming pregnant. Everyone was appalled by the lack of tact! On the other hand I have heard of carers becoming pregnant and only taking a few months' break, whilst others are asked to take a 2 years break, so I guess it depends on the LA or IFA, and on the particular placement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now