Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Odd situation, advice please.

(34 Posts)
Dawndonnaagain Sun 05-Jan-14 16:52:48

One of dds friend left home. She is doing A levels and had good reasons for going which I don't want to go into here.
Anyway, she's here. Her social worker has approved this. She's put on some weight and looks so much better than when she arrived three weeks ago. We're happy to have her. However, we don't get any money for her (she's 16), and things add up. I don't know whether or not she should have the same pocket money as my dds, I guess she would, but that's a hundred a month which is stretching things a little. I don't want to put her in the situation where she constantly has to ask for things though. With the dds, their pocket money buys their clothes, make-up, going out. I buy all basics - deodorant, sanpro, underwear, shampoo etc. Happy to do that, but are we able to demand at least her family allowance to cover some of this.
All help and advice appreciated, thank you.

Onefewernow Sun 09-Feb-14 10:02:04

What an awful situation that LAs can't find the time for16 year olds.

In my time as a parent I have known of two or three situations where the issue of taking in a 16 year old needed to be considered, and the parent would never have relinquished the housing benefit, even though they would have or did let the child go.

In some cases where a family relationship breaks down, surely LAs must see that the family of origin is chaotic and also some parents spend more than they already have on drugs and alcohol or other types of addictions. This is hardly uncommon.

I left home at just 16 myself so that I could do A levels, and it was hard enough to get my mother to hand over the additional maintenance grant, which was sent to her because of my age. Two new carpets and two terms later I had to have unique arrangements put in place with the local authority and college in order that I didn't starve. There is no way on gods earth she would have handed over the CB as well.

Onefewernow Sun 09-Feb-14 10:46:26

Section on child benefit- there is a whole section on if your child lives with someone else.

Also it says "you must contact the child benefit office if your circumstances change" and " you will usually be responsible for a child if you live with them or you are paying towards looking after them.

If you are looking after someone else's child you may be able to get child benefit".

dayshiftdoris Sun 09-Feb-14 11:16:30

It's called a Private Fostering a Agreement...

dayshiftdoris Sun 09-Feb-14 11:20:10

Sorry try again

It's called a Private Fostering Agreement - if the arrangement lasts 28days or more and you are not a family member then you should inform SS (which you have done)

Here's more information

This is becoming more well known about but it hasn't been in the past. Have a google re the benefit situation - I think it depends on the length of time they are staying

floatyjosmum Mon 17-Feb-14 23:18:45

As she is 16 private fostering isn't relevant.

LocoParentis Thu 27-Feb-14 21:52:36

She can claim income support as a young person who is estranged and in education. SS should be able to advise you or a YP advisor in the jobcentre

BookFairy Fri 28-Mar-14 22:53:33

As she is under 18 SS ought to be supporting her financially as she is a LAC.

LadyMaryLikesCake Fri 28-Mar-14 23:03:11

They have recently raised this age to 21 for foster children so you should be able to get financial help for her (twas in the Big Issue today too).

Funding is via the local authority, so her social worker should know.

I don't know the ins and outs of this but she may not be able to get some of the benefits (setting up home allowance etc) when she needs them if it's a private arrangement so you could do with checking this.

HTH. It's a wonderful thing you're doing. thanks

BookFairy Sat 29-Mar-14 22:03:17

Supported Lodgings has been available for 18-21 year olds for quite a few years, so I don't know why the govt is acting as though it's a new thing! The issue is that there aren't enough foster carers who will take over 18s as they get less money.

She ought to get an Income Support equivalent from SS as she is under 18.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now