Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

financial support for foster carers

(7 Posts)
lijaco Sat 22-Sep-12 10:33:11

Hi we have a special gaurdianship order for our Grandson. He has lived with us since he was a baby. Last year I received a letter from our local council to say that they had made a mistake with our financial support. They told us that they had not deducted the child benefit from us. They told us that we owed them £1800 but would not ask us to pay it back. They reduced our weekly payment, and I am now going through a complaints procedure. In my special gaurdianship report it clearly states our weekly payments, and that we would also receive child benefit as an addition. I have been told this was a mistake. After complaining about this situation I have been told that foster carers receive the same weekly amount as me but a little more as they don't receive child benefit. I used to receive £126 per week, and now receive £115. Without being a cheeky question are they being honest with me. Does this amount sound like the correct amount a foster carer would receive for a 5 year old. As I have complained about the inequalities between a family carer and a foster carer financially. I would appreciate any feedback smile

scarlet5tyger Sat 22-Sep-12 11:26:56

Hi Lijaco, I receive £112 per week for each child under 2 that I foster. I think it's £114 if they're 2 and over. In my LA family carers and foster carers are paid exactly the same, but it looks like you'd be worse off!

Hope that helps.

scarlet5tyger Sat 22-Sep-12 11:28:01

Forgot to add, they're right about the child benefit too. FCs cannot claim it as its seen to be part of the £112 we receive.

lijaco Sat 22-Sep-12 21:03:16

Thanks for your response scarlet

Gymbob Sun 23-Sep-12 22:33:51

Hi, yes foster carers do not receive (at least not in my LA) child benefit, it is included in the weekly allowance. In my LA payments for 5 - 10 year olds is £126 per week. On top of that is an enhanced payment made according to the foster carers skill level. That bumps it up substantially.

Do you receive a skill payment on top?

queststarz Mon 24-Sep-12 18:51:46

Hi
our is broken down age 5-10 = £98 basic, £37 clothing and £14 personal, so nearly £150 per week. Then as Gymbob said you can work your way up to a skills payment over time.

The recommended payment for foster carers on the fostering network is a lot more than you're getting, might be worth referring them to it?

http://www.fostering.net/all-about-fostering/resources/good-practice-guidance/fostering-networks-recommended-minimum-allowanc

•Age 5-10: £153.20 =2012 (£149.76 = 2011) - so my LA are obviously guided by this

lijaco Sat 29-Sep-12 21:35:57

Thanks for all your feedback smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now