Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Foster carers in Surrey

(3 Posts)
homebody Mon 12-Sep-11 17:51:48

What do you do for new supplies for foster children in your care? Do you have to buy it brand new or can you buy/use secondhand?

I am in the processing of clearing out my DSs' outgrown clothing, blankets, etc and would far rather give it to someone to use directly rather than just giving it to a charity shop. Also in charge of our nursery's Christmas Fair and we have a secondhand toys, books and clothing sale, and last year there were a lot of things left over that we gave to the charity shops.

If you are interested, please let me know!

maypole1 Mon 12-Sep-11 19:05:02

It depends I have a draw that is used for children who come and don't have any thing and they use my stuff just until I can get to the shops I think thats ok second hand

But their own personal things that they will move on with I say they should be new

Even the toys we have a basket full the children play with until we can buy them their own

The out door toys are second hand but they won't be moving on with those

NanaNina Tue 13-Sep-11 21:36:28

I don't think social services will take these items homebody - there is usually an allowance made for initial clothing when the child comes into care. Foster carers do swap things between themselves though, especially larger items. Also Social Services would not have storage room.

I suggest you contact Womens Aid and maybe your items could go to children in refuges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now