Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

First placement!

(6 Posts)
bottersnike Wed 31-Aug-11 19:31:21

Finally, we have our first "short-term" placement, a beautiful 6 month old girl. We got the call from SS at 3pm, and she was with us an hour later!

Dh and I are now trying to remember what approximate routine our boys had when they were that age...I'm sure it will come back to us over the next few weeks!

scarlet5tyger Wed 31-Aug-11 19:51:23

I know all babies are different but this is the rough routine I have my babies in at around 6 months:

7ish - Wake up (I wish with current placement! More like 4am!)
7.30 - Breakfast (made with milk from bottle and followed by rest of bottle)
10.00 - Bottle then Nap
11.30 - Dinner
1.30 - Bottle then Nap
4ish - Tea time
5ish - Bath/story/bottle/cuddles
6.30 - Bed

You'll find contact interferes with any routine you put in place, but I try and get parents to work with me as much as possible - all the LAC I've had have needed really strict routines (and so do I!)

Hope everything goes well for you all

essyroo Wed 31-Aug-11 19:53:23

Congratulations on getting your first placement! I'm sure instincts will kick in quickly and it will alll come back to you.
It's nice when the waiting is over isn't it! We were approved in April and we've had a respite placement since end of June. Two sisters, 8 and 13 (so a bit older than yours!), who have had 3 short stays with us so far. Even after all the anticipation and preparation it's been a bit of a shock to the system shock, but it does feel great to actualy be doing it finaly smile Just don't expect too much of yourselves to begin with and take it a day at a time I reckon! Hope it goes really well for you.

MissVerinder Wed 31-Aug-11 21:07:25

Oooh, botters so exciting!

Hope it all goes well and she settles down nicely smile and contact goes well for her (and you!)

I can't remember what life was like before LO arrived... I'm sure there was more sleep involved somewhere though...

bottersnike Wed 31-Aug-11 21:54:40

Well, she settled to sleep at 7pm, and has woken up every 45 minutes since then...we're hoping this doesn't continue all night!
Thank you for the routine suggestion, scarlet! That's more or less what I remember.
Feeling excited, and a bit nervous, but mostly thrilled to have her here.

Rubyx Tue 06-Sep-11 11:51:32

Hi, how is it going now, almost a week later? Has she settled well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now