Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Have been approved :-))))))))))))))))))

(15 Posts)
Juey1 Wed 15-Jun-11 15:13:04

Can't believe it- so pleased and my birthday as well- best birthday present ever :-)))))))))))))))) xx

Killermouse Wed 15-Jun-11 15:15:56

Well done you and happy birthday:-)

Juey1 Wed 15-Jun-11 16:25:36

Thank you :-) x

MotherPanda Wed 15-Jun-11 16:26:40

Congratulations smile Have a big slice of cake on me. When will you be able to start?

p99gmb Wed 15-Jun-11 17:38:52

Congrats on this special day... phew.. now the hard work will really start - how many and what age range have you been approved for??

and once my LO's are in bed, I'll have a wine to celebrate your birthday and then another wine to celebrate being approved... welcome to the emotional world of fostering!!

mumsiepie Wed 15-Jun-11 21:12:57

Congratulations! I am so pleased for you1 I would love to join in a wine but had better not! Many happy returns and many happy fostering experiences! xx

Juey1 Thu 16-Jun-11 08:41:30

Thank you- I had prob to may wine yesterday lol. Can't wait to start :-). I live in Orkney and here once it goes to panel it is then sent for the final tick which can take up to 2 weeks. Then we could get children staright away. We have been approved for up to 2 siblings- emergency/respite/short-term and longterm!!! Don't really want respite as I think it would be unsettling for my 2 kids but they put it in as part of a long term package where they children will come and stay prior to being placed with us longer. x

mumsiepie Thu 16-Jun-11 13:07:07

My first placement was an adorable 4 month old for respite and my children wept buckets when she left but they quickly had someone else to think about!

I personally dont really like to do respite as it is a different type of fostering but I do whatever is required and I really love emergency/short term fostering. The longest we have had is a wee boy who has been with us for over a year now.

Good luck and let us know when you get a placement. x

SingleFosterMum Thu 16-Jun-11 18:39:46

Mumsiepie, what do you mean when you say a different type of fostering?
I'm waiting to be approved for respite and emergency as the commitment of up to 2 years scares me at the moment.
Would love to hear your experiences.

SingleFosterMum Thu 16-Jun-11 18:40:12

Oh and well done Juey1 !
Fab news

maypole1 Thu 16-Jun-11 20:56:35

Well respite is mostly when other foster carers are away on holiday but are unable to take the child due to legal reason (which happens a lot ) our first placement was respite the Childs carer broke her leg, and when she retired from fostering the fc came to stay with us as she new us already.

Some times some carers get children who our out of their age range and need support which can be respite.

mumsiepie Thu 16-Jun-11 22:03:58

Yes, what I meant was the child is just with you for a short time and you try to keep the routine for the child that his/her foster carer has begun. They usually come in all clean and with lovely clothes.

It is so different to a little one coming in starving, scared, lice ridden and you can begin to try to reverse the damage that has been done, usually from serious neglect. I love that!

I think the length of time can creep up on you as initially you are maybe told there will be a review in 3 months and then again etc I dont think (but people will correct me) you usually start out knowing how long you will have the child for unless it is a planned long term placement. xx

mumsiepie Thu 16-Jun-11 22:16:21

usually -dont- start knowing how long you will have the child for

MissVerinder Fri 17-Jun-11 18:21:55

Congrats! :-)

SingleFosterMum Fri 17-Jun-11 21:33:27

Thanks Mumsiepie, I can see what you mean now. Probably not as satisfying if they are already settled in another foster carers home.
My social worker seems to think I'll do more emergency palcements, so I can hopefully make a difference to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now