Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

WTF

(16 Posts)
maypole1 Sat 04-Jun-11 15:39:52

just some back from taking little one to contact and the contact worker need up shouting at me.

The long and short is the contact worker a couple of weeks ago put a nappy on fc. And then last week had fc in a pram yes a pram.

Now fc is disabled but has a walker that the contact worker should be using

We had this issue before with her but thought It was resolved in the contact review

Btw fc is 6 years old

Any way I asked to speak to the contact worker she agreed I explained that I was disappointed to hear fc was in a pram when we had spoken about this at the contact review and that next time if their finding it a issue then they can have fc wheelchair as well as the walker and also as fc is 6 a nappy is not age appropriate and that because fc is disabled it dose not mean we can just do what ever (bare in mind the only thing wrong with fc is legs not working fc goes to a mainstream school)

she stared shouting saying it was the parents And that they wanted to put the nappy on and take fc out in the pram, But I then pointed out to the worker it was she who provided the nappy and the pram.

She was shouting so much she started stared shaking, she said she felt attacked I then tried to explain that I was not attacking her but was pointing that putting a child in a pram for no reason other than its taking the child a bit long for then to walk with their aid is not really on.

And also putting a nappy on a six year old because you took the child paddling and didn't want then naked during contact when their able to use the toilet unaided is also not on and I suggested it's because fc is disabled that they feel this is ok as I am sure the worker would not be behaving in such away with a non disabled child.

Any who i had enough told her i would be letting the duty contact team of our conversation more like (row)

The parents have no clue and she seems to have no clue so who is the responsible adult then during contact.

boyoboy Sat 04-Jun-11 15:47:53

That is really hard to read....could you write it again and simplify it, I think I understand what you are saying but my brain wont function. smile

maypole1 Sat 04-Jun-11 15:54:00

Sorry well the long and short is the contact worker had my fc in a nappy two weeks back then was allowing the parents to push fc in a pram

Fc is six had a word with the contact worker she then stared shouting at me and cannot see the issue

mumsiepie Sat 04-Jun-11 16:47:55

She should be disciplined for doing both those things! She is treating the child like a toddler instead of a child of 6. She (nor the parents) would do that to an able bodied child. I would definately pass this on to the sw.

maypole1 Sat 04-Jun-11 18:46:00

its really pissing me off and the thing that makes me mad is we seem to be having this conversation over and over.

my sw dose not want to rock the boat because the contact center are doing us a favour but dose that mean they can treat fc like a baby in case we loose the place.

in my view this is very poor practice

p99gmb Sat 04-Jun-11 21:24:17

how degrading for the child... this contact worker sounds incredibly insensitive and not very professional... fight for your FC... put a complaint in writing.... shock

mumsiepie Sat 04-Jun-11 21:41:52

I agree, put it in writing and things will have to change.

Surely the contact centre couldn't take your place away for making a complaint about someone acting not in a childs best interest.

Good luck.

mumsiepie Sat 04-Jun-11 21:59:19

Just found this on http://www.naccc.org.uk/standards/standards-for-supervised-contact (national ass of child contact centres)

Complaints and compliments
Service users need to know that any complaints and compliments they make will be listened to, taken seriously and where appropriate acted upon.
Any complaint must go through the agreed process set out in the centre’s complaints procedure. Supervised child contact centres must provide facilities for service users to express their views.

They would never penalise a child if someone complained on their behalf. Tell your sw to stop being stupid!

mumsiepie Sat 04-Jun-11 22:00:45

www.naccc.org.uk/standards/standards-for-supervised-contact

maypole1 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:40:37

Well the thing is we had a contact review and the manger basically told me and the sw as much

She was basically saying if this becomes to much of an issue then we will withdraw the contact because legally my fc dose not meet the centres requirements for having supervised contact .

Really the parents should be having community contact but were finding the aids a bit of a task the whole thing is very undignified

I am expecting A visit from child's sw next week so she will get getting a ear full about this

I DO NOT WANT TO SPEAK ABOUT THIS MATTER AGAIN AT the next contact review so I hope she blinking sorts its gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am off for a drink nite ladies

maypole1 Sat 04-Jun-11 22:42:26

Thank you ladies for your support as always

SquidgyBrain Sat 04-Jun-11 23:46:43

What a horrible woman the contact worker sounds. She is treating your poor FC in such a degrading and unacceptable way. I totally agree with your questioning would she have done these things if your FC was able bodied.

Hoping you get this sorted out sounds like the contact worker seriously needs to sort herself out

hoping this resolves itself quickly

p99gmb Sun 05-Jun-11 12:01:33

Also, surely any activities have to be 'child centered' and so if its not suitable to go for a long walk, then they shouldn't do it.. simple... it's not about what the parents want to do...

Any contact worker/SW should be guiding the parents into this - not just running with any inappropriate idea...

Good luck with kicking up a fuss....

maypole1 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:39:55

I know the whole thing is mad.
They seem to be going along with any hair brain thing that the parents want but sadly I think this has come from the worker she provided a nappy and she also provided them with a baby pram of which we had words before over which lead to a contact review with the manager of the contact centre.

EricNorthmansMistress Thu 07-Jul-11 14:22:18

I am shock that they could put a 6 year old child, with no LDs, in a nappy and a pram! This is a contact centre - well no matter what the threashold for supervised contact they should never treat a child like this! Do not let this go! That's so upsetting.

Juey1 Thu 07-Jul-11 16:43:08

I agree with all the above- it is degrading for the child and I am appaleed. I have a son who has cerebal palsy who has severe physical disabilities- he can only walk about 50 yards with pods and the rest of the time he is in a wheel chair. We try to limit the wheel chair as much as poss so plan outings etc to accomadate him and his needs. This is what the contact centre/worker and parents should be doing. Believe me my son is 21 now and hoestly it doesn't take a lot of forward planning to9 accomadate him. The contact worker etc are being lazy and selfishly putting their needs before your fc. Hope you sort it out hun xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now