Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

Christmas plans

(17 Posts)
SenSationsMad Sun 19-Dec-10 15:44:28

So, I'm looking for some updates really. smile

What are you all up to? Are you ready? Any contact planned?

How will you make it special for your own family?

We've just taken a photo of our two LO and will print them to make Christmas cards for their mum and grandparents, they look lovely grin

p99gmb Sun 19-Dec-10 19:00:16

Hi SSM.

Am I ready.. ha - yes if the postman fights his way thru the snow.. all of my shopping been done online (lazy but hey, who cares) and still waiting for loads of stuff.. thankfully not for the LO's - I've got all of that and its even wrapped and a huge stash of batteries!!

We took the two LO's to a photo studio and had a lovely photo done of them for mum (bargain at £10 all in!!) and I've asked her to do us one too, as a momento for that dreaded time when they're no longer in our life..

Started teaching the 2.5yr old to say 'ho ho ho Merry Christmas' - hopefully we'll have it mastered before contact this week.

That's if it happens due to the snow!!

Also, got their second review meeting (allegedly) on Tuesday - so bit on edge about that.. Mum ok with me, just daunting and my link worker not able to attend so no hand holding (hubby has to stay with kids), and I got a bit told off by the kids SW for texting mum an update on her ill child!!!

I'm torn in my emotions for mum - Christmas Day will be hard for her - and I'm not even allowed to text her now - so can't make any contact with her on behalf of the kids... but then again, they wouldn't be here if ... blah blah blah...

Oh well, all you fantastic people just have the most amazing time, eat, drink and be merry... and here's wishing all of us and all the LO's a brilliant 2011 x x x

wink grin

SenSationsMad Sun 19-Dec-10 20:08:45

Your photos sound much more professional than ours I must admit blush, but after saying that I'm doing it out of the kindness of my heart, whether it'll be appreciated is another thing.

Our LO are going to stay at grandparents house over Christmas, so we'll keep our gifts for them here until after.

They have contact arranged twice this week I think - not confirmed yet, also a visit to GP. We're meant to go to see a panto on Thursday, which we've already had to cancel once due to the snow.

I'm struggling with keeping the peace between 5 yr old LO and 10yr old DD. They don't get on sad. Things will be easier once DH finishes work on Wednesday.

Have a good one, and enjoy your Christmas day. xx

EarthMotherImNot Mon 20-Dec-10 15:04:16

Having 2 babies experiencing their first Christmas with us is excitinggrin

We have a contact planned for tomorrow but as mum hasn't attended any contacts since the beginning of November we aren't holding our breath.

We have a couple of little traditions that we do when we have lo's for Christmas.

We dress them up in santa type outfits and have their photo's taken and framed. These go with them when they leave us.

We also buy a special tree decoration and hang it on the tree. This also goes in their memory box, hopefully the new families will carry on this tradition.
We have also in the last couple of years bought a snow globe (Asda do them) which you can open and insert a couple of little photo's into.

Ooh I do love Christmas with little onesgrin

mumofloads Mon 20-Dec-10 15:32:23

I have just been told that my teenager will more than likely be going home for christmas following tomorrows court hearing. This is a complete change of plan. I am really happy for her but sw has told me the family will not want any of the presents we have bought her so I now have a pile of stuff needing a good home. Any good ideas where I can take it. I want it to go to someone who would not usually get much.
I have:
Hair straighteners (ghds)
Dressing gown
slippers
clothes from New Look
Handbag
Tons of smellies and make up
Perfume
Books

SenSationsMad Mon 20-Dec-10 15:50:11

Emin - sounds good, lovely and ohhhh so nice grin

Mum - feeling sad for you, hope its for the best. I don't know how I would feel if it was me having bought the gifts, not being able to give them. Can't she have them now as leaving gifts and not Christmas gifts? Maybe a loophole for you?

all the best for you and yours xx

maypole1 Mon 20-Dec-10 19:32:41

Sadly dads contact was cancelled due to the snow so lo won't see them before Christmas and won't get the presents from dad
Mum tried to block our Christmas holiday but as contact centres closed till new year my link worker told the mum he'll to the no and and all this information was given at the lack which she failed to show for.

maypole1 Mon 20-Dec-10 19:35:08

Mumoflods,
What dose the Childs ss have to say about this seems very crule, how about allowing her to open them before she leaves and then she can take it all with her

SquidgyBrain Tue 21-Dec-10 20:56:08

Mumofloads - that is so hard

I guess you know your FD better, and you might have an idea if her family would be unhappy if you were to send the gifts home with her.

You could also ask your FD - as I don't know any one that would say no to GHD's!! (Can you foster me next Christmas grin

Our SS don't do contact on the 24th, 25th and 26th, which I feel badly for the families - however it does make life easier for us.

I dabble in photography, so set up the camera and got a few nice shots of the LO and have ordered a A3 canvas print for his Mum and Dad - hopefully they like it - and hopefully it will arrive tomorrow!

Gave his parents a card with his hand and foot prints stuck inside.

Merry Christmas to all you lovely ladies (and gents)

SenSationsMad Thu 23-Dec-10 20:38:33

Guess what?

I was given a Christmas gift today by LO's maternal grandparents, saying its from the boys! I'm very touched at their thoughtfulness.

Also.....

My boss sent me flowers through interflora today thanking me for my work for the company and my work with the children grin

Guess how happy I am?
Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch!

SquidgyBrain Fri 24-Dec-10 14:07:54

SSM

How lovely nice to know that you are being appreciated

Have a lovely Christmas xx

SenSationsMad Sun 26-Dec-10 14:02:48

LO had a nice CHristmas with their granparents ( but their mum didn't show up as planned sad)

And we've had another Christmas morning with them today [fhappy]

SquidgyBrain Sun 26-Dec-10 18:27:08

that is such a shame that their mum didn't turn up

Glad that the LO's have had 2 lovely Christmas mornings tho

Hoping you also had a very merry Christmas x

p99gmb Sun 26-Dec-10 19:34:37

Ok.. I admit it - I cried watching the kids opening their presents... priceless....

Hope you all having a fab time too x x x x grin

SenSationsMad Sun 26-Dec-10 19:40:49

AAaaahhh! (((that's not a scream its a ah nice)

Boxing day over,and two little ones in bed!

Can't help but think what's in store for them in 2011

mumofloads Sat 01-Jan-11 17:57:25

Well our teenager went home the Tuesday before christmas. I decided to send the presents with her and hoped for the best. Result was a message from the family via SW thanking us for looking after her. She sent a text on Christmas day thanking us for the pressies grin.
We were asked to take another teenage girl the next day because her currant carer can't cope. She is known to be verbally abusive to her carers. Also destructive in the home. Her currant placement is 22 miles away so she will not be in a position to see friends easily. We didn't take her before christmas because that wouldn't have been fair to the 4 younger children we have. Will probably take her next week so crossed fingers please. Think she is going to need a lot of help.

maypole1 Sat 01-Jan-11 18:15:57

Well i am very glad what the parents want and whats best for the child is not always the same thing.

I believe that you are doing right by your girls it just wouldn't have been right sending her without a gift when you have been such a huge part of her life even if only for a short while , se may of thought you didn't care .

Well done as a fairly new carer its not always esau to to right for doing wrong but its good to know its not just me who has dilemmas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: