Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on fostering.

When you get the call what do you ask?

(9 Posts)
angel31dust Wed 01-Dec-10 00:01:59

We have been told to compile a list of questions to ask when we are called to take a placement. We are going to be fostering 0-5 year olds only. So what is your list of questions each time you get the call. Has it changed with experience does it help? Thanks

EarthMotherImNot Wed 01-Dec-10 07:51:38

I usually ask

How old is the child
What sex is it
Why is the child coming into care
How much contact is required
Will this be supervised or not
Who is the the social worker
When do they need accommodating

Bear in mind though that they often get the details wrong, eg; I've been told to expect a 4 month old baby boy and when the child arrived it was a six month old girl{shock]

If I think of any more I'll come backsmile

p99gmb Wed 01-Dec-10 10:26:35

Risks - as in to you and your family, your pets et
Any health issues

Have you been given the 'preparing to foster' book from the Fostering Network - its a book that you need to fill in, but in the book is a big long list of things u should know..

If you've not got it then I'll dig out mine if u let me know & post the list..

From my experience (ha ha - its our first placement) you don't get to know half of the stuff anyway, some of it is wrong, some of it they just don't know. I got told to give them cold milk at bedtime - that was it - no health issues, no allergy info, nothing.

Let me know if you haven't got that book...

smile

bottersnike Wed 01-Dec-10 12:32:37

This is really helpful - I was wondering this the other day. We have just finished our training course and our assessor is coming round this week to continue our assessment.
I would also like to ask if there are any siblings - can they give you this information?

EarthMotherImNot Wed 01-Dec-10 13:18:09

Bottersnike....yes they should give you this information, actually there should be very little they can't tell you, after all you will be part of the care team once you accept a placement.

In reality you have to drag a lot of info out of them kicking and screamingangry

maypole1 Wed 01-Dec-10 15:24:12

just to add to earthmother im not list

I usually ask

where are the parents based
section 21 or 20
how long is accommodation needed for
what school or nursery
child's race
child's mother tongue
any special needs

and most important of all why they are in care
but you should be given all this info

sumum Wed 01-Dec-10 19:14:05

we get sent all info they have through on email, so I just ask 'when are they coming' grin

p99gmb Wed 01-Dec-10 19:18:02

and the answer to our 'when are they coming' was that you've just about got time to have a cuppa!! grin

LaurieFairyonthetreeEatsCake Wed 01-Dec-10 19:18:41

If they are not forthcoming or worse suspiciously forthcoming about irrelevant pointless information I ask how much school they have attended, how their behaviour is and how many placements they have had.

I also ask what their routine is as I think that tells you a lot about the care they have had up til now.

I also ask about how good they are at personal care - this is because I need to know if a teenager has hygiene issues and doesn't wipe properly or wash their hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now