Talk

Advanced search

Anyone who knows anything about being an raf officer?

(7 Posts)
YummyorSlummy Thu 24-Sep-09 12:55:15

My dh is in the raf as an airman but has been considering going for his commission as an officer. Just a few questions...anyone know how long detachments are for officers? How long a posting usually lasts? and whether or not we'd be entitled to a married quarter during his training (isn't it like 18 months or something??)

scaryteacher Thu 24-Sep-09 18:26:45

Dh RN officer. Appointments normally 2-2.5 years - can be longer if NATO HQ. I presume if he is in already, then you would retain your entitlement to housing.

Word of advice....buy your own as soon as you can, and rent it out. You will then always have somewhere to go, and somewhere to live when he leaves.

McDreamy Thu 24-Sep-09 18:31:04

Length of detachment depends on trade but usually 4 - 6 months. Postings are usually 2 -3 years but again could depend on the trade - smaller the branch the more he domino affect if one officer gets posted. I don't know about quarters as I was not married when I went through Cranwell and DH had done Cranwell when we married so it didn't apply to us. Basic Officer training in the RAF is 6 months. Is he changing trade? There could be trade training added to that?

madwomanintheattic Fri 25-Sep-09 23:50:27

what mcd said grin

sometimes folk do get a quarter at cranwell, but only usually stackers etc who know they are there for longer than iot (or whatever it's called these days)

even if you are quartered there, he won't be coming home much, as it is a live-in course for the most part.

length of det ordinarily 6 months (but as above, depends on trade/ det - there are instances when commissioned dets are longer than non-com)

again, as above, postings will be shorter than non-com. the norm is 2 years but can be shorter or (slightly) longer if it ties in with something else. more common to get moved earlier as everyone is so short that officers tend to get shifted around the system to plug gaps (esp loggies etc)

is there a commissioning club where he is stationed? there are normally a couple of nice young officers ready and willing to answer questions from prospectives... and normally they are fresh from the farm so can give shiny new info about the process etc.

Berryred Wed 07-Oct-09 20:39:13

hiya I am at Cranwell now

Hubby went through IOT and is finishing his Engingeering training so was worth the move for us

We will be moving every 18 months-2 years ugh

Det will be 6 months he has been told

Even though whilst he was going through IOT he didn;t get home much, when he did then fell straight to sleep, it was worth the move!!!

emmmmq Mon 09-Nov-09 19:23:04

hi,
my hubby has his interview for RAF this week & i was wondering if he is successful what happens re married quarter, he is ex Army so have lived in MQ before. if he is successful the trade training course will be 2 years long, would we get a MQ for this time?? I know in the Army that they provide them if the course is over 6 months long.. We are going to try to conceive if he gets accepted

thanks

madwomanintheattic Tue 10-Nov-09 19:41:26

yep - if training is 2 years in one place you will qualify for an mq. depending on course they sometimes like the service person to live-in for a set period, or there may be brief detachments etc, but you should have no problem being allocated a quarter (obviously availability/ location varies lol)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now