Talk

Advanced search

Careers open evening (RAUXAF) - suit or not?

(4 Posts)
IrishDraught Fri 04-Sep-09 09:02:55

May be better in style but thought one of you guys will be able to tell me if it's appropriate or not.DH is going to a RAF reserves open evening and we are trying to get all prepared but are unsure if he should go in a suit. He was going to wear one, would it be OTT? Also, for this and any full time RAF interviews is non black OK? Mucho googling told me black is too harsh for interviews etc, and looks like you have just pulled out the hatches matches and dispatches suit from the back of your wardrobe (which would be true blush) but as it's the RAF I thought maybe sticking to traditional black is the thing to do? We know first impressions are going to mean alot and he doesn't want to make a total suit faux pas. If it's not black it will be dark dark brown, or dark dark grey but I think the dark grey makes him look like an office worker too much, so if I get my way dark dark brown would be better - anyone have any guidance for me please? Thankyou so much

hf128219 Fri 04-Sep-09 09:10:26

I think a black suit would be fine.
Or a blazer, chinos, suit and tie number for the open evening?

madwomanintheattic Fri 04-Sep-09 23:51:51

if he wants to be an officer grin chinos, blazer and tie fine.

suit not necessary but smart casual better (assume it is an 'info evening' rather than the full assessment and official interview?

we have folks turning up unshaven in jeans and t-shirt for the info day (and some blokes with pony tails too) and i think as long as he has the right attitude and brushes up well for the interview etc, he will be perfectly fine.

(if he wants to schmooze a commission, def go for the smart option) - some do wear suits (hatch, match as well as full gieves and hawkes) but it isn't essential, so whatever he does choose, i'm sure he won't be the only one. grin

madwomanintheattic Fri 04-Sep-09 23:54:30

it may also be as well to let him know that (certainly at our place) we have places for as many people as pass the selection test, so he is only in competition with himself. might take the pressure off a bit. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now