Talk

Advanced search

DH wants to join the TA, What should I expect to happen?

(26 Posts)
RubyBlueberry Mon 31-Aug-09 20:18:12

And I mean that in a "what would the TA expect from him" ?

nappyzoneisback Mon 31-Aug-09 20:21:30

One evening a week, a 2 week camp every year and probably a comitment of a weekend a month though they expect more as a sign of commitment. To stay in i think its only something like 8 a year and the 2 week camp. It might have changed alot from when i was in. Also obviously there is the imobilisation thingy.......

morocco Mon 31-Aug-09 20:24:48

him to get posted abroad??

RubyBlueberry Mon 31-Aug-09 20:25:21

imobilisation thingy?
posted abroad?

eek.

RubyBlueberry Mon 31-Aug-09 20:26:08

Cos i thought he would do marching at the local TA centre (I really have NO IDEA do I)

AnAuntieNotAMum Mon 31-Aug-09 20:28:45

colleague of mine got posted to Iraq for 6 months while in TA.

I think he might have been able to turn it down, I'm not sure, but he actually wanted to go. He was unhappily married and didn't much like his job.

He came back safe.

RubyBlueberry Mon 31-Aug-09 21:53:35

He's waiting online to speak to a recruiting officer now.

ShowOfHands Mon 31-Aug-09 21:57:22

When I was in it was one night a week, one weekend a month and a fortnight in the summer. Opportunity to do much, much more. I was at uni though in the officer training corps so no risk of deployment!

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Mon 31-Aug-09 22:07:30

get him to wait a couple of weeks and watch david modell's new documentary about returning soldiers (and TAs)... he'll not sign. it's one of the most shocking docs i've seen in a long time. suicide rate of young men returning from iraq and afghanistan 200 times the national ave.

RubyBlueberry Mon 31-Aug-09 22:12:37

Thing is though, he nearly joined the army 20 years ago and wishes he had. He has mates who are now serving in Afghanistan and he wishes he was there to make a difference, he is so pro the British Army and everything they do.

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Mon 31-Aug-09 22:14:34

aye. wait until they get back and start downing a litre of vodka every evening to stop the nightmares.

Sidge Mon 31-Aug-09 22:17:53

Has he thought about the Royal Naval Reserves?

RubyBlueberry Tue 01-Sep-09 10:19:52

Royal Naval Reserves? No, I don't think he has thought about them.

He was waiting online for 4 hours to speak to someone from the Army but they were all busy.

Aitch, is your other half in the army?

IrishDraught Tue 01-Sep-09 13:38:05

My DH is thinking about joining the RAF reserves and is going to a presentation soon, do you know if the TA have anything similar? As for comittement, they expect a weekend (unsure whether it's one or two days) a month, 2 weeks a year and possibility of deployment (which they state is very likely in the first 3 years). Contact your local TA centre directly and see if he can go down. Or they may be running an open event somewhere - alot of airshows etc. have a TA recruitment tent. Good Luck

AitchwonderswhoFruitCrumbleis Tue 01-Sep-09 17:17:50

nope. smile

madwomanintheattic Tue 01-Sep-09 20:13:15

irishdraught, our RAF Reserves (Aux) are pretty much deployed six months after they finish their professional training.

the regulars are so short (staffed lol) and subject to such frequent deployments, the reserves are picking up an awful lot of the operational task. our sqn carries 25% of the operational commitment of the trade, with at least 30 on active service at any given time. some are on their 3rd, 4th or even 5th operational deployment. many miss christmas, birthdays etc etc, just tlike thir regular counterparts.

re - 'getting out of' or turning down mobilisations. you have certain rights of appeal in certain circumstances, (as does your civilian employer) but essentially you can't just just say 'nah, i don't fancy it'. the only reason the reserves exist is to provide manpower - if you aren't willing to actually do the job when they need you to, please don't bother joining lol. the days of the weekend warriors are long gone - these days it is a pretty solid commitment.

my room mate got caught in an ied explosion in iraq a couple of years ago (TA) and we have had some RAuxAF casualties too. PTSD and mental health within the reserve community is being given the necessary overhaul - whilst the regulars are surrounded by a peer group who have shared experiences when they return from ops, the reserve community go back to their civilian jobs - whatever they are, and the readjustment can be difficult.

being a reservist offers up a fantastic range of opportunities, but it does require a serious commitment these days...

ruby, we always make sure that spouses are fully aware of the commitment their other halves are making (lots of women with kids join the reserves too) but it is a big decision.

madwomanintheattic Tue 01-Sep-09 20:18:11

oh, depending on which act they use to call you out, it's usually a maximum of 12 months deployment in 3 years. all of our trained and deployable RAuxAF are used to the max, and as soon as they come back on to the 'useable' line, we schedule them for the next tour. smile

not saying this to alarm anyone, but you do have to know what you are letting yourself (and your family) in for... grin

actually, 12 months deployment is slightly misleading - it's 12 months mobilisation, which would include work-up, deployment(usually 4 months and 1 day), and post-tour leave...

RubyBlueberry Tue 01-Sep-09 20:36:17

One one hand I am thoroughly miserable that he would consider doing it, but on the other hand I feel it's his life, he has to enjoy himself, he is not just a foreman and a dad and my hubby but he is also a man.

And I don't think he feels very manly when he sees on the news that another soldier died.

He is going to go to the central recruitment office in town this week, but at 38 I think he is possibly too old to be an officer?

madwomanintheattic Tue 01-Sep-09 20:40:49

it'll say on the website. to join as an officer there will be some selection tests etc and is a bit more difficult depending on unit.
be aware that RAuxAF have less stringent age restrictions grin for all those wannabes that are a little more mature. we quite often get retreads from the TA when they kick them out grin

McDreamy Tue 01-Sep-09 20:41:16

I used to be in the RAF Aux and was required to do one weekend a month and a 2 week exercise a year in order to qualify for my bounty. In the present climate the Auxillaries/TA are being used alot to augment the regulars on detatchment. The length of this will depend on the trade.

RubyBlueberry Tue 01-Sep-09 20:50:04

It's just the TA he's applying for. He did say that he's not interested in the RAuxAF.
I guess I should wait to hear if he gets in before getting emotional!

RubyBlueberry Tue 01-Sep-09 20:50:26

It's just the TA he's applying for. He did say that he's not interested in the RAuxAF.
I guess I should wait to hear if he gets in before getting emotional!

madwomanintheattic Tue 01-Sep-09 21:01:32

i think the RAuxAF stuff was for irish draught too smile

but they all say they want to join the TA, then find out they are too old, and then join the RAuxAF for the regiment. grin

irishdraught, where's your dh going for his info day?

IrishDraught Wed 02-Sep-09 15:07:33

He is going to RAF Benson. He is (fingers crossed) joining the regulars though around this time next year so unsure if he can join the reserves in the meantime but the guy he spoke to suggested it, so I guess we will find out Sorry for the hijack!

madwomanintheattic Wed 02-Sep-09 16:18:12

if he sticks to 'hoping to join the regulars in the future' then it should be fine - for us the training takes about 18 months so it wouldn't really be worth doing with only 12 months. that said, we do get people who join and then decide they like it so much they disappear to the regulars half way through lol.
hope he has fun!

hope dh gets all the info from the TA ruby! which unit is he looking at?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now