Talk

Advanced search

Wedding list help

(7 Posts)
frakkinpannikinAGRIPPA Fri 21-Aug-09 20:34:01

Right ladies, I'm doing my wedding list - want practically everything but accommodation is rented so no need for washing machine/dishwasher etc.

What do I need and how many of each? My future MIL is also an officer's wife and says I need to do dinners for at least 8. Is this true? And if so what do I need dinner plate-wise?!

What do I really not need?

Also your recommendations on: slow cookers, breadmakers, blenders, coffee makers etc.

I'm taking this as an opportunity to replace all our rubbish towels and bedlinen with nice stuff grin. I didn't bother shipping anything off to La Reunion (3 year posting) so I'm starting from scratch but, obviously, we're going to be moving around a fair bit so it needs to be manageable.

Help me, please!

shoshe Fri 21-Aug-09 20:37:49

Are you going into quarters?

If so where, and what sort of housing stock, as often not that much storage.

Sorry not a Officer's wife so dont know about dinners and such.

Dont no any quarters that come with any white goods apart from Cooker tho.

frakkinpannikinAGRIPPA Fri 21-Aug-09 20:50:34

French Naval posting to remote tropical island - fully furnished 2 bed appartment.

It's not quarters exactly, it's commercial rented accommodation but they subsidise heavily.

shoshe Fri 21-Aug-09 20:56:54

OMG ............. Can I come with you grin

Not sure, as a Child we were posted to Singapore, which was alot more Tropicl/colonial then, (no A/C, not shopping malls) and I remember Mom always saying no furnishings and bedding that could rot, if that is any help.

Take a 12 setting dinner service, in case of breakages, you will not be able to replace.

May be good to ask on Living overseas thread to see if they can help.

And Congratulations by the way grin

frakkinpannikinAGRIPPA Fri 21-Aug-09 21:16:46

Please do come! I am dead scared and don't want to do this all by myself!

shoshe Fri 21-Aug-09 21:27:05

Put you Indiana Jones hat on and take on the adventure, grin

I am sooooooooo jealous.

madwomanintheattic Mon 24-Aug-09 01:25:47

ok - be prepared to feed 10 and have spares. more serving dishes than you think you will ever need. i've got <blushes> about 18 of everthing, dinner plates, mid size plates (handy for fancy starters), small plates, 3 different types of bowls (think about what you like to serve - are you likely to need double if you want to use the same size plates/ bowls etc) also large china platters etc

unless you are really really uber cool, (and have better taste than me lol) stick with white - you can do anything with it.

tablecloths always a gample if you are going furnished as you never know what size table you will get... so go larger. napkins.

you need to think seriously about electricals. we are o'seas (different voltage etc) and have brought no electricals with us as the thought of having a house full of transformers etc is too much (and i'm paranoid about electricals and fire and stuff...) but if it's the same voltage or you are planning to put it into storage then go window shopping and pick the one that suits you.

def get more crockery than you will need. this stuff gets broken when you move. the 'professional' packers often do not take as much care as you would... we've just unpacked and have lost 3 huge serving bowls that they don't make any more. ah well. (another reason why white is your friend!)

choose a fabulous cutlery design - but visit loads of places and pick them up too - some look great but feel wrong!

wine glasses grin we have oodles and gazillions and about 5 different sizes lol. i have no idea why. the largest ones we only get out at very small dinner parties or we would be bankrupt. grin

what haven't we used? blooming cheese boards and accessories which we seemed to have coming out of our ears (not on the list, they just kept a'coming!). we just use one of the platters. i'd be paying special attention at any invites you gat now though lol - you don't want to be making a cheese faux pas in those circles grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now