Talk

Advanced search

Getting worried, can anybody answer this?

(9 Posts)
rippatiggerboo Mon 10-Aug-09 13:29:32

Am plagueing you guys at the mo arent Igrin

DH is going to call the RAF careers guys today or tommorow (he out window fitting at the mo in his current job so may not get away to call them.) He has a list of questions to ask them and after that it should be waiting till sept to call for an interview.

BUT (and heres my worry) he joined up 12 years ago when he was 17. (he 29 now) he got through to basic training but dropped out half way throught. Should we ask if this is a problem? With it being 12 years ago could they have deleted his files? (Data protection act and all)

I doubt staying quiet is a good idea, but am worried if he tried b4 and dropped out they wont let him try again. He is totally different this time, last time his mum wasnt supportive, he was 17 and away from home, he just kept thinking "just get through this week" where as this time I am supportive, he prepared for what lies ahead, he not even thinking about the training, just what lies ahead after that.

Any help would be great guys, while I should get the answers tommorow, am still worried as it would seriously knock DH. He has always regretted what he did and this is a chance for him to correct that and feel like he has done something with his life (as at this rate were heading for a mid-life crisis)

hf128219 Mon 10-Aug-09 14:51:58

I wouldn't worry about it at all. The Forces are keen to get people to join up - hence age limits being increased - particularly people who have had experience in the real world.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 10-Aug-09 18:57:58

Hello
From what I have seen after hours of trawling the internet for any bit of info I could find about the RAF they do 'accept' people who have dropped out , just not if you have been discharged.

rippatiggerboo Mon 10-Aug-09 19:31:01

Well lady that comforted me till I said to DH "did you drop out or were you discharged?" to which he said "I dropped out. I have an honerable discharge cert some where" shock

So now am back where we started ARGH!!

Well, if he calls tomorow they should tell him. I cant see dropping out at basic training discharge, tho I guess you joined up then havent you? Crap.

rippatiggerboo Mon 10-Aug-09 21:14:09

an now av found out he cant have been honerably discharged, he never really served and its called an Entry Level Separation. Great I think, an acurate term to search WRONG! I still cant find what I want to know. sigh. He will find out tomorow but its driving me crackers!

LadyOfWaffle Mon 10-Aug-09 21:50:46

I am very sure it will be fine - I was reading a forum (student room I think?) and someone went back years after dropping out of training. I will have a google for you, but your mind will be put at ease tomorrow

pinkem Mon 10-Aug-09 21:55:36

Dh said be up front about everything as they will find out about it sooner or later. Dh said tell them something along the lines of; he was too young and lacked life experience, he now feels better prepared... it worked for dh!! (Joined aged 16 came out after basic training, joined again at 20)

rippatiggerboo Mon 10-Aug-09 22:22:58

Cheers girls. Pinkem thats a big relief. Plus that he isnt the only one to do it. It is all rue, he has life experiance now plus support. Just waiting to find out about driving but I suspect a nasty bill for it. But if it means he can be a copper its worth it. Especilly if he is happy

pinkem Mon 10-Aug-09 22:53:26

Good Luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now