Talk

Advanced search

Starting the long journey, a little positive help please

(11 Posts)
rippatiggerboo Fri 07-Aug-09 10:10:24

Dh has made the call and the RAF are hiring police in Sept. So I suspect we will be calling for an interview then. He just called them for a chat and the fellow was pushing married quarters quite a bit. Not that I mind the idea, but he own our house and I have a well paid job that I cant leave so its not an option.

Just want to hear that others have the "see hubby 2 days a week" for when they travel back from base on their time off. Also, how much time off they get while police training. He just been told its 9 months training and just want to know if he can leave base to see his family during this time. I'll cope but I worry for our baba, she 17 months old and I dont want her forgetting her daddy (not that it would be an option I guess if he did it)

Thanks girls
Fliss

FourArms Fri 07-Aug-09 10:27:13

TBH when DH was doing his initial training (Officer training for Navy, so completely different), and when an old boyfriend was doing initial training for the RAF (years ago now!), they really don't get much time off at all. I think with DH it was nothing at all for the first month.

However, don't worry about your little one at all - she'll be fine. DH is away for months and months at a time now, and they don't forget. They're a little funny for a day or two, then straight back to normal.

Good luck to your DH.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 07-Aug-09 16:05:23

We are in a similar situation, well in that DH is joining the RAF One of his three choices was the RAFP, but he is aiming for Weapons System Operator which means back to college to get better GCSE grades first grin I know a little about the initial training, they are allowed to come home most of the weekends out of the 10 weeks. I presume it would be the same for further training too, especially as it is longer. When not deployed they seem to work 5 out of 7 days, 8 hours a day (normally) so I am sure he will be allowed to come home, depending if they need him I guess. We are going to rent our house out (no way could we afford the mortgage on the training wage) , besides I want to be in married quarters The RAFP woman DH spoke to at the careers office has already been deployed to Iraq twice though, I think about 4 months each time. this site tells you more about the initial training , hope that helps a little.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 07-Aug-09 16:07:02

As far as I know you can rent out your home on a 'normal' (non buy to let) mortgage if you/DH is in the forces (with most companies), if that was an option for you.

rippatiggerboo Fri 07-Aug-09 16:44:02

Cheers gals.

thanks fourarms, children bounce more then we think they do I guess hehe. Am sure she will be fine. But thanks for the reasurance

DH has been through all this before but dropped out of basic traning, this was 12 years ago and this time its for him, last time it was for family. He did say there was some time off to go home a week or 2 after he dropped out

Ladyofwaffle, DH could do with going back too, hehe, just 7 GCSE's g-d level so leaves not much choice for careers, but he really seems taken with the police. At least when he comes out there will be a few choices for him (if he does come out wink )

I would love to do the married quarters thing but I really couldnt give my job up, its what pays the mortgage, and theres no way I would get a rent that covered it, once rates go back up its £600 per month, no way would I get that for a 2 bed. Plus am thinking of starting a bridal business from home (and I think my mum and step dad would hunt us down for taking baba away hehehe)

Hum about 5 out of 7. We got a mag that said dog handlers worked 4 on 4 off, I was hoping for that, but we will see, get what were given I guess.

Do you know if when joining the police if you need a driving licence after basic training or when you start to apply? Its the one thing he is short and if he is gonna start the process in sept and the latter is true, he gonna need a quick pass coarse (about £500, we need that like a hole in the head!!!)

Thanks

LadyOfWaffle Fri 07-Aug-09 17:22:00

here is states full licence is needed - I guess when you apply. I have seen they help you pass your test, but that may be for other careers and for people who apply about 15 1/2 / 16. I did my theory yesterday, crammed the revision in in the morning which gives you two years to take the practical. There may be a wait for both tests so book his theory asap so you can book the practical. At least by Sept he may have that under his belt so they can see he is in the process...

rippatiggerboo Sat 08-Aug-09 00:17:31

Ooooo good point lady. Thats an excellent idea

LadyOfWaffle Sat 08-Aug-09 14:39:26

I really recommend getting the book of theory questions - I worked my way through them (not so many as it seems as alot of just motorcycle questions)& checked my answers . They repeat alot, so it really drums it into you. Every single question I think is there, so you will get 50 you have already done in the test. Took me about 4 or 5 hours in total, but I got 50 out of 50 for the questions part Good luck to your DH!

rippatiggerboo Sun 09-Aug-09 09:23:01

Cheers Lady.

I remember myself and I did just what you suggest. Read the highway code twice and that was it. What I found was a sod was the hazard perception. What a usless bit. So random. I had to take my test twice coz of that and the video was the same each time, so each time I saw the hazard I clicked and then clicked again. sigh. But neway, fingers crossed he has till basic traning. I really dont relish the cost of a 1 week cost. At least on his side is that he been driving his scooter for 2 years, so he has lots of road awareness.

LadyOfWaffle Sun 09-Aug-09 10:15:04

The courses are the same per hour usually (about £20-24ph) just in blocks of 20/30/40 during the week. this is the question book I am on about, it has every posssible question they will ask. I think DH bought the set (practical book too) for about £10 from WHSmith. Another good thing is the hazard perception CD rom, I got it the first time around grin and it was excellent, my computer doesnt have a CD driver though now but I managed to scrape through. I think the CD is £9.99 in WHSmith but was great. I still have my copy of the theory questions if you would like it? I have no used for it now grin

rippatiggerboo Sun 09-Aug-09 21:30:55

LOL, cheers hun. If I recall correctly I never studied for the hazard perception as I didnt have a pc. I had to get in trouble at work on my second attempt for doing it there! scadelous.

Thanks for the offer hun, I'll let you know, I gave mine to my sis as she was "supposed" to be taking it and never did. plus she has one of those cd roms. See if I can get it back, she'll have to find it first lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now