Talk

Advanced search

Can families be housed during RAFP training?

(8 Posts)
LadyOfWaffle Mon 03-Aug-09 11:24:43

Abit new to all this, finding out as much info as I can Am I right in thinking to join the RAFP there is 8/9 weeks initial training, then a further 22 weeks police training (+ 3 for dogs)? If so, what happens to the family (ie. me and the 2 DSs) during this time? Does the wage stay at £13,000 during the whole of that training, or for the 2nd lot does it go up? I am not sure we can afford a private rent & bills for 9 months, and definatly not the mortgage... or do they expect you to save up enough to cover the loss in earnings for that time? And does DH stay away for that whole time, or back for weekends? DH is organising a meeting with the 'local' wink careers office but I want him to concentrate on his own questions rather than asking alot about his wife etc Thanks if you can help.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 03-Aug-09 11:26:11

I do know we cannot get MQ during the initial 8/9 week training, just can't find info about the longer training

pinkem Mon 03-Aug-09 20:15:47

Hope this helps:

"To qualify for Service Families Accommodation, you need to be married or in a Civil Partnership and due to be on the same base for a minimum of six months."

During RAFP training your husband will go down to Southwick Park near portsmouth, he will be allowed home most weekends.

Tell your dh to have a look at rafpolice.co.uk they will assist with any questions he has and obviously give him some grief for wanting to join up.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions let me know.

LadyOfWaffle Mon 03-Aug-09 22:36:41

Thanks for that - still abit unclear whether training counts as being on a base for 6m +... I will get him to ask though. Thankyou

pinkem Tue 04-Aug-09 22:41:50

More info:

Normally for airman you will only be entitled to a quarter after your dh has finished both phases 1 & 2. Although double check at his meeting.

Wages will stay the same until he gets LAC, (so after all his training is complete.) After one year(from beginning of training) he will become an SAC and will receive his first pay rise.

I know the RAF police trade is closed at the moment but tell your dh to get as far as he can through the application process and they will contact him as soon as it opens again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

VanillaPumpkin Wed 05-Aug-09 18:26:42

My dh says his trade get housed for their trade training (phase 2) but not basic training (phase 1) as you know. His lot get their pay increase when they graduate their phase 2 course. HTH. Good Luck smile.

LadyOfWaffle Thu 06-Aug-09 00:18:11

He went to the careers office today - RAFP is a second/third option now, he is going to college in Sept. to get his GCSEs up to scratch for Weapons Systems Operator which I think has an even longer training time. I guess it depends on what 'course' they do with regards to being housed during phase 2 or not? It's all still abit confusing, I guess until DH has definatly picked which path he wants to take and the application has been done it's hard to find out. Thanks alot for your help, it's reasurring to know that it may be during phase 2, unsure though for WSO how long that is though as I had spent all my time googling RAFP grin No idea what most the lingo means though (LAC/SAC) so off to google... thanks again!

VanillaPumpkin Thu 06-Aug-09 09:04:47

Good Luck to your DH smile. I got a job on camp to stand a fighting chance of understanding the lingo grin. The acronyms are a nightmare lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now