Talk

Advanced search

Son about to go on first deployment to Afghan ..........

(9 Posts)
snottymcgrotty Tue 21-Jul-09 12:14:06

Hi, I'm new to this board. My stepson (19yrs) is leaving for Afghan on 1st Sep with the army for 7 months. It will be his first deployment and we're all really worried of course.

We were just wondering if you had any ideas of a going away gift for him (his grandma has already bought him a St Christopher). We're doing a photobook which he should be able to keep in his pocket as it is only 3"x2", but any other ideas would be appreciated.

How far in advance will he get his address and any idea what you can/can't send and how long it takes to get there ?

Sorry for all the questions, but he's a typical 19yr old boy and it's easier to ask you lot than him !!!!!

Insanity Tue 21-Jul-09 12:41:00

photobook is a really good idea and it is what Im sending my DH, it would also be nice to do another one in 3 months or so.

The mail can take a while to get there around christmas time but normally it is 7-10 days. It also depends if he will be on the main camp or in a FOB, which is sometimes only accesible via helicopter, so that could delay the mail aswell.

You can sign up for an e-bluey account, which is the quickest way of staying in contact. An e bluey is just like the blueys you get from the post office but you obviously type it like an e mail and then it is printed off at the other end.

As for parcels, as far as I am aware,if it is under 2kg it is free to send. My DH deploys in Sept, and last time he was there, I sent magazines, food that isnt perishable (i.e crisp, jelly sweets, super noodles..) shower gel....

He should get his address before he deploys and he will also get 30mins a week on a phonecard, although if they are out on the ground they may not be able to get near a phone every week.

I will try and get you anymore information if you need it, although there are quite a few people on mumsnet with family members on deployment or about to be deployed.

pinkem Tue 21-Jul-09 13:50:38

I got my husband an Ipod pillow so he can listen to his music while falling to sleep.

snottymcgrotty Tue 21-Jul-09 13:57:25

Thanks for replying Insanity. Its a confusing and worrying time for everyone. We're completely new to forces stuff here so all help appreciated !

hf128219 Tue 21-Jul-09 13:57:54

www.bfpo.mod.uk/optelic_opherrick_mail.htm

This gives all the details re e-blueys and items you are not allowed to send.

snottymcgrotty Tue 21-Jul-09 14:01:55

That's a good idea pinkem, where can I get them from ?

pinkem Tue 21-Jul-09 20:28:17

Amazon have a selection. I got the 'Sound asleep pillow' it was £14.99 + £3.99 P&P.

snottymcgrotty Tue 21-Jul-09 20:38:31

Ta for all your ideas. Need to have a proper look at things I can't send out.

Mercy2 Mon 27-Jul-09 13:53:34

Hiya there.

My hubby is currently 4 months into his 3rd deployment to Afghanistan and before he left I bought him a silver Guardian angel key fob, He clips it into the inside of his trouser pocket when he goes out on patroll and he said it helps him to think abbout us thinkin of him at home! We got it from the Studio Cards Catalogue and It wasn't even very expensive.

his unit should have information packs for dependents and families with details of postal addresses etc and details of their particular tour. Well I know that ours did this and I find it useful to look back to.

the E'bluey's are a real lifeline for them when they are deployed and you can attach photo's to them to help keep them up to date with whats happening at home!

hope ur stepson's tour goes safely and quickly for you! Sending a big hug for you as I know what a worrying time the lead up to the deployment can be x x
M x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now