Talk

Advanced search

Can somone explain in plain english how the vetting works for Forces please?

(25 Posts)
Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 19:19:28

10 years ago, DH was DV'd. Then it lapsed after 5 years and he went down to a lower level of vetting. Apparently it runs out at the end of July. So, will the do teh DV vetting again? he works at a training school so shouldn't need it. last time they asked me lots of questions and its very intrusive. If he doens't need that then what sort of vetting will they do, if any? Does everyone get vetted in the Forces like this? TBH I find the whole thing a bit bizzarre

Drusilla Mon 06-Jul-09 19:31:45

I rhink the full on DV stuff only applies to certain jobs? DH is DV'd at the moment but has not needed it at other units.

Drusilla Mon 06-Jul-09 19:32:25

Sorry, that's not plain english, just me speculating grin

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 19:34:36

I don't think he needs to be dv'd for this job. It would have been picked up on when he started 2 years ago. I just wondered what the other levels of vetting involved.

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 20:04:16

DO we need to provide financial info and referees etc for a non dv check

Yorky Mon 06-Jul-09 20:23:34

Hi,

I am at a trg school and was DV'd in a past job. When the DV lapses and there is no need to renew it they will not, however should they Counter Intelligence section thinks that he is a significant risk they will interview (However that is incredibly rare!). I Hope this helps

DH

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 20:23:55

bump

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 20:26:30

Its the police training school, and AFAIK no one in his teaching section are DVd, and it has lapsed. SO would it just be a routine vetting - not involve handing over bills and statements and getting referees?

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 20:40:50

bumping for evening crowd.
I have looked on DVA website but it only goes into a lot of detail about DV clearance and mentions credit checks, financial checks, interviews and referees for that, doesn't mention any other sort of vetting at all.

Yorky Mon 06-Jul-09 21:04:24

One form, no interviews and possibly a financial deceleration however no handing over of bills unless they become concerned over initial inspection.

flossie64 Mon 06-Jul-09 21:11:26

My dh was DV'ed 5 yrs ago for the post he was going to. All his posts since then have all required it and he is due to be updated any time now.
He told me it costs £60,000+ to do full thing, so I'm sure they will not do it if they don't have to .He has never been vetted at any other level , so I presume you will not have to do anything.HTH

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 21:27:10

SO, if it's not DV, what vetting will it be? DH says it is "due to lapse" at the end of July?

flossie64 Mon 06-Jul-09 21:32:17

I don't think you will be vetted at all. They woulld have sent paperwork out by now if your DH needed it for his role now. As you send it back for checks to be done then have an interview. All in place before you are allowed to do the job .
So basically no vetting, for you.smile

hf128219 Mon 06-Jul-09 21:56:17

Vetting only takes place when a particular job requires it.

DV (Devloped Vetting) is the highest level of clearance.
CTC (Counter Terrorist Clearance) the most basic.
CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) is now required if working with 'vulnerable adults' - such as new recruits.

Saltire Mon 06-Jul-09 22:47:53

He has aCRB. What was annoying me is the DVA website says that you get forms asking for bank statements, bills, credit checks etc. And other forms to fill in and attend an interview

hf128219 Tue 07-Jul-09 07:15:03

That is only for DV.

MilleniumHandNShrimp Tue 07-Jul-09 07:24:06

Saltire - DH works in training recruits. All he needs are the CRB and the usual security clearance stuff, no DV (your DH would have been asked to go through DV already if it were necessary for this job)

It is just some forms. They do credit check you as part of the process. I have been through the SC process (and am about to have to do it again) and you usually do have to produce ID (passport) and proof of address (bills, car reg docs or similar). It is mostly painless smile and nothing like DV.

Saltire Tue 07-Jul-09 07:45:57

Hmm, ok. It's just that I have been reading that interviews and reviews of finances takes place and references are collected for SC and above clearance.

MilleniumHandNShrimp Tue 07-Jul-09 07:55:35

Oh yes - and two referees.

I know quite a few people who have SC and I don't think any of them had to be interviewed.

Saltire Tue 07-Jul-09 08:05:45

SO referees, financial questionaire, credit check and interview? Sounds like DV to me!

If it lapses end (ish) of July how long will this process take then?

scaryteacher Tue 07-Jul-09 08:08:51

dh dv'd some years ago by a nasty little man who commented on the state of my bills. What goes around come around, as dh had told me his name, and I had the greatest pleasure in presenting him with an humungous CTAX bill that he was trying to wriggle out of, and I made him pay it in one hit.

Saltire, did you see the PE kit info further down from the head of NL? MIL sent an email to her.

What's the weather like? - am in your neck of the woods this weekend

Saltire Tue 07-Jul-09 08:12:18

I did scarey thank you.

I ahve established that DH isn't being DVd, as it would have been done 2 years ago when he started here.
It seems though that the Sc clearance is pretty much the same thing - all those checks and financial info,interviews etc. Also I read that partners finances are looked into and they are checked out as well.

How long does it take? if they need to be sorted by end July?

Saltire Tue 07-Jul-09 09:05:51

Another quick question before going to work. I know that with DV (which DH isn't getting) partners are checked out as well. Is this the case for SC vetting?

scaryteacher Tue 07-Jul-09 10:10:41

Go to the Q and A on personal finance and it appears that they can ask for financial info for an SC.

I really resent giving my info to them. How I run my finances is down to me and none of their bloody business. I accept they need to know about joint things, but things in my name have no bearing on dh at all. They should in theory, dv or sc the partners separately if they want the info. You may not want your partner to know what is in the running away account for instance.

Saltire Tue 07-Jul-09 13:36:54

I read the Q&A bit as being aimed at D only, maybe I'm wrong. I agree that my finances have no bearing on how DH does his job.
Does everyone in the military get SC then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now