Talk

Advanced search

Great British Menu Dinner - Anyone Else Going?

(18 Posts)
purplepants Wed 20-May-09 10:18:34

What are you going to wear? I've nothing at all!!! Heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!eeeek

Chulita Wed 20-May-09 10:28:23

I wish I was going - DH's unit deploy individually so no chance of a welcome home bash for them!! Can you borrow something off someone? Most of the forces' wives around here have at least a couple of gorgeous dresses sitting in the closet... or ebay, I'm a huge fan of ebay dresses grin Good luck finding something!!

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 20-May-09 10:42:04

You lucky, lucky thing. Have you been watching, does anything grab you or has something been made that makes you go yuck?

purplepants Wed 20-May-09 12:02:40

chulita - DH is depolyed as an individual too. I think it would be incredibly hard for them to do a welcome thing for all the whole units. I think it was a lucky draw smile

The dress problem comes as I'm only a few weeks off giving birth so the size of a small elephant - I don't know anyone with anything I could borrow that would fit hmm

fivegomadindorset - I much didn't like the look of the "egg&cress" sandwich on monday but, to be honest, I don't much care what we're given - it'll be such a treat to go out to eat!!!

andirobo Wed 20-May-09 12:55:30

purplepants - enjoy the meal - not sure who will be doing the cooking yet, but my DH's cousin is one of the two in the 'cook-off' to decide who does the meal. It will be a public vote to decide which of the two it is!

MadameCastafiore Wed 20-May-09 12:57:16

Just hope you don't have to eat sweetbreads! [yucky emoticon!]

newgirl Wed 20-May-09 12:59:56

it will be such an interesting experience! what a laugh!

but no im not going

Chulita Wed 20-May-09 18:05:19

Ah...from the intro they make it sound like it's one unit but lucky draw sounds about right. As for maternity dresses...I feel for you, had same issue last year with brother's wedding - erm,
www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-clothes/maternity-dresses/D/30000/P/2:100:1020?actn=700000&site=mat ernity&useurl=true
www.doesmytumlookbiginthis.com/
I actually got something from
www.fromheretomaternity.co.uk/cat--FHTM-Maternity-clothes-and-maternity-wear-Maternity-Dresses-and-S kirts--maternity+dresses.html in the end.
Good luck and hope everything goes well

purplepants Wed 20-May-09 19:21:37

thanks chulita smile just glad I haven't got any problems with food smells this pg!!

sayithowitis Sun 24-May-09 14:36:11

Have they changed the format then andi? usually the finalists cook against each other to see whose dish gets through to the public vote, so in previous years each course has been 'won' by a different chef ( though I think last year one chef 'won' two courses).

andirobo Sun 24-May-09 21:08:47

sayithowitis - I think the format is the same, I dont think it would be practical for one chef to cook the whole four course meal! I only had the info second hand, from my SIL, so I can assume that DH cousin is in the running for one of the courses. WHich is a vast improvement from his go last year.

It would be interesting to hear the verdict on the meal from whoever goes from here!

Shoshe Wed 27-May-09 18:59:18

So Purplepants which one do you want to eat?

sayithowitis Fri 29-May-09 09:57:01

Hi andi. Did he make it to the public vote? And if so, did he get his dish in? I am dying to know!

And purplepants, you must let us know a) whether the menu is one you would have chosen and b) what it is like when you get there!

I have visions of all the forces personnel making 1000's of phone votes to get their favourite dishes in the final menu!

andirobo Fri 29-May-09 14:03:48

We will find out tonight - it is the main course - Tom Kitchin

lizziemun Fri 29-May-09 19:38:32

Can you not wear purplepants so we can see you grin.

roulade Fri 29-May-09 20:13:55

Have a fab time, the menu looks delish smile

KittyWalker Tue 16-Jun-09 20:07:31

On BBC2 now!

KittyWalker Tue 16-Jun-09 21:00:07

I watched those fireworks! Did you have a good time purplepants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now