Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully challenged the grade of their quarter and WON??

(11 Posts)
AnnasBananas Mon 08-Sep-08 11:38:03

The background here is we marched into a quarter last September which was a grade 1. We took a while to unpack and settle in and then thought long and hard about the quarter and all the things we found wrong with it. We found the grading criteria on the web (JSP 464 - I suggest EVERYONE read this it is a fountain of information) and thought definitely we should be downgraded. So we wrote to DHE to formally challenge the grade. Fast forward two months later and DHE assessor turns up and spends 1.5 hours going round the house measuring every room and counting power points etc as per the criteria, leaves saying he'll call me next week with his finding. Which he does, he says he will recommend a downgrade to Grade 2. So we then waited seven more months to hear back from the Garrison Commander who turned the grading challenge down???? We cannot understand this at all. So we have appealed but don't really know what this means, will they just refuse it again? Do we get the right to meet and talk about it and put forward our 'case'? Looking to hear from anyone who has been through this process.

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 12:18:46

No, sorry! But I can imagine how you feel. I presume on JSP it also mentions the other criteria that comes into play with grading such as nearby shops, bus routes etc.

Good luck! smile

Romy7 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:37:31

i've been in two quarters that have been downgraded whilst we were in residence, and one that was upgraded... nowt to do with me, they just do the assessments and sort it out amongst themselves... had no idea that the garrison commander had the final call - sounds fairly bizarre that he would change the decision of the the assessors, surely just a rubber stamp ordinarily?
hope your appeal goes ok, it would be interesting to find out which criteria the commander used to make his decision...

AnnasBananas Mon 08-Sep-08 18:00:31

JSP 464 is completely specific down to the very last detail about how they grade quarters. It makes for very interesting reading!! So we know we have enough 'deficiencies' to be downgraded we can't understand how the Garrison Commander can then overturn the DHE assessor's recommendation. It's very unfair. We have requested the assessor's report so we can read what's been recorded ourselves. It hasn't helped that for the last five months DH is in Afg so I have been doing all the comms with DHE myself. Can't wait until DH gets back and can help with the housing issues, he is a force to be reckoned with whereas I'm a pushover...

Drusilla Mon 08-Sep-08 18:53:54

Have you sopkoen to SSAFA? They might have some advice.

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:13:22

No No No! Don't be a push over! I agree - what the heck has it got to do with the garrison commander??

AnnasBananas Mon 08-Sep-08 19:27:44

Well, in the case of a Challenge of Grade on New Occupancy (that is what it's called technically) the Garrison Commander makes the final decision after reading the DHE assessor's recommendation. What he (the commander) knows about this sort of thing in detail I can't imagine?? But now that I began the challenge a year ago I am going to fight and fight until there's nothing else we can do. Because it's unfair.

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:36:41

It does seem strange that the DHE agrees with you but the Garrison Commander overturns it. hmm

Off to read the guidance!

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 19:53:24

Just had a quick glance - I wonder if they have fallen at the first hurdle?

"If you wish to challenge the grading of your SFA you should do so in writing and address it to the Board of Officers. The board will then examine the challenge within one month"

FourArms Tue 09-Sep-08 07:25:12

Don't worry too much about timescales - if you do eventually get it downgraded, then they should backdate the overcharge to the date of your challenge due to the amount of time it's taken them (this happened to somebody that made a challenge in our last quarter). Ask the Garrison Commander for details of the last grading (turned out our quarter had never had one!)

AnnasBananas Wed 10-Sep-08 16:13:14

I'm not too worried about timescales we've been fighting this grading challenge for 11 months now and I can see that this won't be resolved any time soon. This is our 7th quarter and we have never experienced anything like this before and it's completely infuriating. But I will fight it until the end!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now