Talk

Advanced search

My DCs annoy the padre...

(38 Posts)
IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 15:42:58

Name changed here to at least pretend that my RL friends don't know me on here...wink

Anyway, was in cafe on camp last week with my 2 DCs aged 3yo and 10mnth. 3yo was being quite good - usual fidgeting, asking for stuff, wanting ice cream etc. Baby was asleep but woke up 5 mins before leaving and really cried. 2 men, obviously irritated by the noise, were sat on nearby table - they looked over with disgust a few times and muttered to each other about us. couldn't hear exactly what they said, but def about us...

Eventually, one of them slammed down his drink and said to the other that they should leave because of "this bloody racket"!! shock I was so angry, as they were leaving I asked them (quite calmly) if they had families of their own? and if so, how lucky that their babies never cried! they ignored me, but everyone in there stopped and stared blush when we left they were stood by a car still moaning about us.

anyway, to cut a long story short, we turned up for mass today and there was one of the men - the padre!! shock blush i am 99.9% certain it was him anyway, he was wearing a distinctive piece of jewellery that i remembered.

it's a small congregation with coffee after, but he didn't say anything to me, and during the sermon he talked about "if a neighbour annoys you, don't complain to a higher level, just talk to the person yourself" hmm

do you think he recognised us?! and should i jokingly mention this?! i had planned to get DD christened by him... hmm

flossie64 Sun 07-Sep-08 15:58:31

I think , you did well not to say anything when you recognised him.
I'm afraid a lot of people are good at preaching ,but don't always put into practice what they say.
Vicars etc being prime examples in my experience.

Twims Sun 07-Sep-08 15:59:29

Well if he is the Padre he should be apologising to you and maybe rethinking his job

hf128219 Sun 07-Sep-08 16:43:57

A Padre wearing jewellery shock

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 17:00:20

LOL hf, not like mr T jewellery!! grin one of those signet rings that posh folk wear on their little finger! grin

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 17:03:10

twims, he doesn't seem the type to apologise really...

flossie - i think the reason why i didn't say anything today was because i'm a bit shy sometimes sad it took me all my courage the first time!

hf128219 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:22:34

Well that means the bloke in the cafe could be one of hundreds of British Army Officers grin

Was it a new signet ring? Or a family heirloom?

Bridie3 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:29:30

Some men have very short memories about crying children.

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 18:33:46

hf, i had thought that, but i thought i recognised him before i saw his ring - shock dh is reading over my shoulder and thinks that sounds rude!?!

and i'm sure the cafe man was talking about another priest... plus the sermon seemed too much of a coincidence...

my bf has just said i should just mention it to him next week to clear the air hmm

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 18:36:03

don't know much about rings really so couldn't tell you hf!

bridie - don't think he will have any children as he is a priest, but you never know! grin

hf128219 Sun 07-Sep-08 19:18:08

If he is a Padre (as in Church of England) he could well be married with children.

If he is an Army Chaplain (Roman Catholic) he shouldn't won't have any children.

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 19:22:57

ah, i see hf, he'll be a chaplain then...

littlelapin Sun 07-Sep-08 19:23:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 19:26:30

do you think i should say something though? i have to keep going for my DCs and esp as DD is to be christened soon... there is no other church nearby that we could go to

hf128219 Sun 07-Sep-08 19:27:36

And when you speak to the Chaplain about DD remember it is BAPTISM, not Christening grin

You don't want to upset him further!

littlelapin Sun 07-Sep-08 19:29:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IveOffendedThePadre Sun 07-Sep-08 19:35:33

ooh yes, baptism, i'll try to remember! thanks all for replying. i have become rather obsessed with this subject. i am a bit of a loon at the best of times grin

i don't think he will remember me tbh, he seemed to look through me when i spoke to him. i hate that - when some people think that wives and dcs are just a necessary nuisance iykwim.

Bridie3 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:25:02

If he's RC he probably has no idea about children. Our local priest is very kind to the children and tries his best, but he has no idea about things like not letting the Family service run into an hour and 10 minutes. (Groan) Or that working mothers who volunteer to help in various church groups shouldn't be made to feel bad because they can't make the annual retreat, usually held on a Saturday, because they're trying to do things with their children. Or catch up on a week's laundry and cleaning.

Do I sound a little tart?

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 13:58:50

shock You should relish 70 minutes of mass.

So yes, you are a little tart grin

kerryk Mon 08-Sep-08 14:27:43

i managed to fall out with the padre one day as well.

i suppose i was kind of in the wrong blush

dh was not impressed when he found out what had happened.

at least you let him know what you thought of him though.

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 14:54:36

Kerry - what did you do?!

herbietea Mon 08-Sep-08 15:26:34

Message withdrawn

hf128219 Mon 08-Sep-08 15:48:20

You must all be very bad women grin

IveOffendedThePadre Mon 08-Sep-08 15:50:38

maybe i should have done this grin

herbietea Mon 08-Sep-08 15:57:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now