Talk

Advanced search

RAF Henlow -humour me!

(12 Posts)
saltire Sat 30-Aug-08 22:21:25

DH said "go on mumsnet and ask them what it's like!
So, what are the MQs like, where are they? on camp? Schools (secondary and primary)

pinkem Sat 30-Aug-08 22:32:28

Dh has just been holding there for a couple months so i will go and ask him...

MQ - some on some off base!
Good gym and swimming pool!

That is all he knows!!!! Sorry!

saltire Sat 30-Aug-08 22:34:31

Men eh? They know nothing important do they?

pinkem Sat 30-Aug-08 22:39:22

oh and the girl who works behind the bar is called gemma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saltire Sun 31-Aug-08 11:21:13

See what I mean, nothing important!

Berryred Sun 31-Aug-08 15:12:48

I've just moved from a 3 1/2 year tour of henlow!

I enjoyed it, loads to do with the children, toddler group friedly.

Schools are good,derwent lower is the main one, my ds went to, full of raf children! There is another school up the road Lower stondon which is much smaller, and if I hadn't been a childminder I would of gone there as less children in the classes

Middle school not used but heard no bad feedback from them. the schools run lower 4yrs-9yrs, middle 9-13 yrs and then 13 +

MQ are [shocking] haha I hated it (sorry) the are all lounge/dinners and I was swapping it round every month as just couldn't settle. If you get one of the closes they can feel clicky but there not if your like me and muck in!

Your a childminder right? there is a huge demand for childminders, and at present one 2-3 there and one is leaving and one pg so good if you want to carry on! if you want to email me let me know, and I'll send it too you (not sure how to go about not putting it on for all to see!) cat maybe I'll give it a try

haha sorry very long

Berryred Sun 31-Aug-08 15:14:29

Message withdrawn

Berryred Sun 31-Aug-08 17:29:26

sorry haha I posted my email and then remembered how to cat! I need to pay again blush

Depending on what rank your hubby is most of the quarters are not on camp (but very easy to get on not far at all!) I was on junior ranks haha

anything else?

saltire Sun 31-Aug-08 18:56:53

DH is a Sgt.

He is doing this becasue he doesn't want me to move back to scotland next year to live with the boys whilst he stays down here. He thinks that if we
A) Move slightly closer to Scotland it will help
B) Move back to an RAF base it will help
C) move away from here where I really haven't settled it will help.

The MQs was the main thing, really wanted to know if they were as bad as this place, what the schools were like as have had a few problems with this place.
What's a middle school then? I am used to primary and secondary, like in Scotland, but here thye have infant and junior and I can't get my head round this starting secondary at 11!

SandyChick Sun 31-Aug-08 21:56:17

Hi, im in MQ at DISC Chicksands which is just afew miles from Raf Henlow. We've been there a little over 3 years.

DH works with people who couldnt get MQ at Chicksands so live at on camp at Henlow.

I've only seen the MQ's from outside so cant really comment on but i've heard they arent great. They are really old white houses that are quite tightly packed and have pretty small gardens. Raf Helnow is split by the main road so MQ's are on one side with some work buildings, the main work area,gym etc is on the other side.

The surrounding area is nice but there's not a lot to do. Milton Keynes is a 50 mile round trip and the only place for good shops etc.

jcscot Mon 01-Sep-08 20:33:43

We spent quite a bit of time at Chicksands, so we know the general area but can't comment on MQs etc at Henlow.

Hitchin is a nice place to go for a bite to eat (and I've heard that the schools there are quite reasonable. We only went to Milton Keynes a couple of times - couldn't stand the place although, as SandyChick says, it's the best place for shopping unless you go into London (which we did regularly!).

I've heard mixed reports about the MQs at Henlow - some favourable, some not - certainly when we were at Chicksands, the quarters at Henlow were considered better than those at Chicksands. Whether that has changed, I don't know.

You are out on bit of a limb and there isn't a lot to do nearby - everything is a fair bit away. However, if regular visits to family in Scotland are a consideration, then Luton airport (and Sleazyjet) are not far away...

My husband is considering going back to Chicksands (either that or a posting in London) but I won't be going with him. I'll be staying in Scotland with the boys and he'll commute every other weekend.

Berryred Mon 01-Sep-08 22:06:58

sorry feel bad saying the quarters where shock but you needed to know! as a sg you may get onto the officer side though grin they are lovely!, if you want to know street names I can give you them x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now