Talk

Advanced search

FGS, back to quarters for us.....

(19 Posts)
MuchLessTiredNow Thu 21-Aug-08 18:29:33

DH has just done back to back 6 monthers and so we agreed we would go into our own house for the children to have some stability near grandparents and have spent the whole summer househunting. Just been told by the valuers that our flat is substantially worth less than what we bought it for 6 years ago - so there goes not only any hoped for equity but also the £30K that we sweated to save for the deposit. Feeling v crap. DH will not talk about it, so needed to vent.

CarGirl Thu 21-Aug-08 18:32:35

That is bad indeed, where abouts is your flat - I can't believe it's gone down in value from what it was worth 6 years ago!!!!

MuchLessTiredNow Thu 21-Aug-08 18:37:15

It's in Ashford - just next to the international rail station, which we knew was being built there when we bought it, so thought we were were playing fairly safe... sad

MuchLessTiredNow Thu 21-Aug-08 18:37:59

jsut a random aside - were you scootergirl and have now upgraded?

CarGirl Thu 21-Aug-08 18:43:45

no I'm not scootergirl!!!! I don't even drive a car often tbh, usually walk everywhere tbh.

Cant believe you've lost so much equity, that is really shock

hf128219 Thu 21-Aug-08 18:52:43

Oh god, what a bugger. Does this mean that you can't buy another house at all?

MuchLessTiredNow Thu 21-Aug-08 19:41:24

yes, it does.... would like to cry, but stiff upper lip not yet dimmed by copious amounts of red wine.... would 'soldier on' pardon the pun, if it was just us two, but the children are really suffering and I think need some stability now. f* F* F*

hf128219 Thu 21-Aug-08 19:44:40

All I can say is I'm sorry. I would get another valuation done by a different estate agent too - unless you already have done.

MuchLessTiredNow Thu 21-Aug-08 19:50:07

thanks hf - tenants are being v shitty about allowing access for valuers, so we feel a bit powerless as we are in Germany, but it is good advice. Anyone got a fag?

hf128219 Thu 21-Aug-08 19:53:10

Have you looked at www.nethouseprices.com to see what other similar properties have sold for recently?

(passes you virtual fag and lighter)

MuchLessTiredNow Thu 21-Aug-08 19:57:14

not seen that website - off for a look now <grabs virtual lighter and inhales deeply (but outside of course wink>

FourArms Fri 22-Aug-08 07:02:51

There's another website... can't remember the name, but if you post on chat or something, someone will know it. It tells you what other properties in the block have sold for recently.

Also ask the rental agency for their opinion. Ours does sales too, so can always give us a rough idea.

Can't believe it's gone down in 6 yrs though, although it is a bad time for property at the moment.

It is worth trying to get a quarter nearer to the GP's under compassionate circumstances? Whereabouts would you be based from otherwise?

FourArms Fri 22-Aug-08 07:03:49

Sorry, read the OP wrong, thought you said he was going back to doing 6-monthers and were Navy or something. blush

MuchLessTiredNow Fri 22-Aug-08 08:52:44

sorry to be confusing - he is Army and has spent 14 of the last 18 months away and the strain on the children has been too much, so we wanted to buy a house close to the grandparents on the theory that at least if he is away all the time, they are close to the rest of the family - we are in Germany at the moment. I think he is posted to his HQ in south of england next - we have been there before and all I can remember is it being so rat infested that the rats used to stand on their hind legs on the patio looking in at the window and the local school being 3 miles away the other side of a v busy dual carriageway so the journey used to take 25 mins. Can't face it again.

hf128219 Fri 22-Aug-08 08:57:04

14/18 months away is really bad, you poor thing. My dh (also Army)did 9 months last year.

Where in the south do you think you are going?

CarGirl Fri 22-Aug-08 15:56:20

Is it worth selling the flat and looking at private rental? Sorry I don't know how it works.

MuchLessTiredNow Fri 22-Aug-08 21:53:53

abbeywood <vomit> or London <scared>. Yes, will really think about renting now.

hf128219 Fri 22-Aug-08 21:55:39

London great! Really enjoyed it there. Nice MQ's in Stanmore.

MuchLessTiredNow Sat 23-Aug-08 17:08:17

what were the schools like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now