Talk

Advanced search

Could you answer a question for DS and me?

(9 Posts)
PeaMcLean Wed 06-Aug-08 21:51:58

What happens in an army barracks?

Sorry if that's a really daft question, I've no experience whatsoever of the army.

We live near Cardiff Barracks and DS knows about this from his Top Trumps Regiments of the British Army. He said "In there, mummy, there are two soldiers and an army tank". (cos that's the picture on the relevant card). I said "No sweetheart, I'm sure there's more than two men in there!" "Well what do they do in there then?" "Dunno" said I.

So. What exactly are they likely to do in there?

Sidge Wed 06-Aug-08 21:54:01

I dunno because we're Navy but this site might tell you a bit more?

PeaMcLean Wed 06-Aug-08 22:00:33

There's a lot of stuff on that site, thanks smile

Are barracks just a place where people live, or do they train in there? What kind of training can you really do in the middle of a city? Or is it offices and classroom type training?

And can I tell DS that they have tanks in there? grin

Sidge Wed 06-Aug-08 22:10:05

Heck I'm not entirely sure!

I think some barracks are accommodation only, some are training bases eg for engineering, clerks, mechanics etc.

I expect some squaddie type people will be along soon and know a lot more than me!

PeaMcLean Wed 06-Aug-08 22:18:59

LOL, I'll let you off wink

Dynamicnanny Thu 07-Aug-08 10:02:29

We are separated onto 2 barracks here - 1 has offices, and PT premises, the other has just housing, schools, shop, welfare unit, radio station.

twoplusone Thu 07-Aug-08 22:15:11

generally the barracks are places where the sloders Live and work.. sometimes families live on camp too.

I would say it is genreally like a really big company, some soliders will be doing paperwork, accounts ,audits, some will be working on equipment, like radios, computers. Some will eb fixing cars, tanks etc.

Then, some will be walking about with there guns, some will be n excersise or on the ranges preparing . Some will be in the gym, doing Physical Training. then the chefs will be in the kitchens...

They are very much like a uig business.. it isnt all guns and play.. generally I would say soliders do two jobs.. unless infanrty then they do do guns most of the time..
But alot will have there trade, then guns and weapons.. Hope this makes sense

PeaMcLean Sat 09-Aug-08 21:07:06

Thanks 2+1 smile

Sorry it's taken so long too respond, PC's been playing up.

twoplusone Sat 09-Aug-08 21:29:32

your welcome..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now