Talk

Advanced search

I would like to send nice things to our soldiers, anyone know how?

(77 Posts)
hughjasss Thu 24-Jul-08 21:11:48

Having been a lurker for a while, I've read many of the different topic lists, even chicken keepers (although I have to admit it hasn't encouraged a love of chicken's in me!)

I have read a few times how much the soldiers appreciate nice things being sent out to them and I would like a few thing out.

Would this be appropriate, if so how do I do this and what should I send

twoplusone Thu 24-Jul-08 21:38:22

Hi.. Not sure as to where you would send it too.. I suppoes the BFPO..sorting office and they would forward it but i don not know the address.

Magazines, tea bags, sweets, toiletries.. no aerosols though.. It is difficult really I know some locations have really good facilities for shopping etc, but others have nothing.. Maybe cup a soups, hot chocolate, pot noodles..

I do know that things are appreciated by the service men.. even just knowing that other people are thinng of them and not just friends and family.. it makes them feel they are appreciated for the the job they are doing.. Can I say on behalf, of my dh and other service men/women and families.. thank you for thinking fof them

whispywhisp Thu 24-Jul-08 21:44:29

I met my DH by sending a 'bluey' letter addressed to 'any soldier' when the first Gulf War was on. The blueys are folded up pre-paid letters within envelopes whereby you can write to any soldier because there are some guys out there that do not even get a letter, let alone a parcel. Blueys are available from the Post Office.

DH had my bluey handed to him because he was one such person who didn't receive much mail.

He wrote back and the rest is history! We've been together for 18yrs. smile

I would think the same applies to parcels. The BFPO would be responsible for sending out parcels from the UK. Your best bet would be to contact them. But I'm sure a letter would be most welcome too.

twoplusone Thu 24-Jul-08 21:48:54

BFPO do have a web address.. I think it is www.bfpo.mod.uk

whispywhisp, that is lovely..x

littlelapin Thu 24-Jul-08 22:07:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hughjarsss Thu 24-Jul-08 23:10:06

Thanks for the links.

On that website LL they have a UK address where you can send parcels if you have no name.
They have lots of suggestions to what to put in, if anyone has any other ideas from speaking to your dp/dh then I would appreciate them.

Just have to find some shoe boxes now

Thanks everyone

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 07:22:57

I will ask DH for some ideas of what to put in because for the 6mths he served on the front line in the first Gulf life was very hard. Even simple things like a bar of soap or a packet of wet wipes were like gold-dust out there because the conditions were so unbearibly hot and dusty and I guess the same applies to places like Afghanistan.

I'll come back to you on this because I'm sure DH will come up with some ideas.

littlelapin Fri 25-Jul-08 08:04:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hughjarsss Fri 25-Jul-08 09:14:00

I knew when I writing the OP that solider was the wrong word but I couldn't think of what to say that incorparated everyone, obviously its serviceman/woman - doh!

A box for a female is a fantastic idea. It would be easier for me to put together as well.

I'm looking forward to doing it

Thanks for the help, would still appreciate any unique ideas as to what to put in the box. smile

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 09:41:39

Toothpaste
Toothbrush
Soap
Talc (cos you can get sand and dirt in places you didn't know you had places)
Chewing gum
Mints
Tissues
Wipes
Roll on deoderant
Nice smelly handcream
Lipsalve
Small bottle shampoo

Pen
Paper
Puzzle books (crosswords etc)
Pot Noodles (with plastic fork/spoon)
Any dried food - crisps, nuts, boiled sweets etc
Fruit cake
Biscuits

I'll come back if I can think of anymore! xx

ninedragons Fri 25-Jul-08 10:01:31

I have got gooseflesh reading your story, whispy. Unbelievably romantic!

hughjarsss Fri 25-Jul-08 11:40:56

Thanks whispy, great list

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 12:03:43

Yes it was all lovey dovey in those days...!!

I replied to a bit in a woman's magazine (Women's Own I think it was) asking for people to write a bluey and address it to 'any soldier'...this is back in the early 90's when the first Gulf War was on.

DH was out in Iraq at the time, serving on the front line. He was out there for 6mths. He was desperately lonely. He was married at the time but his marriage was in pieces and he knew things would be finished by the time he got home.

I wrote a few bluey's and sent them off. I got a fair number of replies and his was the last I got. That was in the Summer of 1991. We continued writing to one another when he returned back to his base in Germany. He came back to a trashed flat, no money, heavily overdrawn and an ex-wife who had decided to sleep around. He immediately filed for a divorce and we finally met just before Xmas in 91. All thru this time we continued writing - he went to Canada and wrote to me from there, sent photos etc etc. He came back to the UK on Xmas leave from Germany and because his family live about 2hrs from me we decided to meet up on a blind date. That was it. We were both smitten!

We were engaged the following Summer and married in 94. Got two kids (9 & 4) and he left the Forces just over 10yrs ago.

If I hadn't have written that bluey?!.....hmmsmile

Anyway glad my little list helped. If I think of anymore I will let you know. I think bearing in mind the conditions some of the guys out there are living in anything that smells nice is always gratefully received.

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 13:20:47

Ok silly question alert!

When you say nice smelling handcream, what sort of brands do you mean?

I have excema and sensitive skin so I buy non - smelling brands, I just stick to 'simple' products really so I have no idea which sort of shampoo's/handcream brands are nice.

Told you it was silly!

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 13:31:27

Anything! If you're sending for a lady I absolutely love Tescos own cocoa butter cream - its about 90p and its smells lovely. For a guy...ummm...errr...Nivea do some mens bits! DH uses their lotion after he's had a shave. xx

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 13:49:20

I'm going to do a box for a lady whispy. Thanks for that

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 13:52:37

That sounds like a lovely idea

What about the travel size things of shampoo, lotion etc.? That way you can put in more of a variety. The Charles Worthington travel size shampoos etc. are nice.

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 13:56:43

Sachets of shampoo are a brilliant idea...I don't know if you can get them in the big supermarkets but occasionally chemists or smaller shops sell them. They fit in really well into a parcel. Also the smaller the items the easier it will be for the person receiving them to keep them tucked into pockets etc. Definitely get wet-wipes. DH says you get a lot of sand and dust in your eyes, despite wearing goggles and protective gear, and wet wipes are lovely.

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 14:10:01

Will definatly get wet wipes and the sachets are a brilliant idea smile

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 14:24:24

I will keep thinking and will ask DH when he gets home from work this evening. I'll pop back later on. I think its a lovely idea what you are doing hughjasss....I know DH was always grateful for what I sent out to him when he went on exercise. The rations these guys and girls have to live off are pretty bland and boring. I used to make fruit cakes and send them out. Providing they are well wrapped by the time they got out there they had sort of fermented and were absolutely delicious!

Other bits I sent out were sachets of hot chocolate drinks - you can get loads of lovely flavours these days - whereas Army issue stuff is revolting. Decent quality tea-bags are always welcome too altho having said that NAAFI tea-bags were quite nice. Also sachets of good quality coffee - y'know the little sachets you can get in Tescos cafe? Also sugar sachets? Anything so they can make themselves a decent cuppa!

For a lady...cotton wool, ear buds, anything smelly, wipes, tampons (?), lotion and creams etc etc.

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 14:29:13

I was thinking of tampons as well whispy.

Really good idea about drinks sachets.

What sort of magazines do you think?

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 14:33:00

Obviously a woman's mag but perhaps something with the odd crossword in it? Its always nice to keep in touch with whats going on at home - celebrities etc. There's so many to choose from these days aren't there? Nothing too heavy or trashy! And remember to put a biro in the box too!

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 14:45:52

Mustn't forget the Biro!
Will get a crossword/wordsearh type book

whispywhisp Fri 25-Jul-08 14:53:28

Cup-a-soups in a sachet? Nice tasty ones!
Boxes of raisins/dried fruit/dried apple/banana?
Small packets of tissues?

(I'm thinking as I'm doing housework!)

hughjarssss Fri 25-Jul-08 15:05:39

Housework must be inpiring!
All really good ideas. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now