Talk

Advanced search

I hate Army houses because....

(28 Posts)
Scootergrrrl Wed 23-Jul-08 18:49:45

they can only ever be described as adequate, at best.

Come and join in - retitle it Forces housing Lapin and you RAF girls!

cali Wed 23-Jul-08 19:09:29

they are crap, just like life with the forces

Scootergrrrl Wed 23-Jul-08 19:16:15

I saw your other thread. V sad for you and your wee one.
At least you're not actually IN the crappy MQ though. Look on the bright side... hmm

cali Wed 23-Jul-08 19:26:16

No, have done my time in MQ and was released for good behaviour.

I loved where we were living but the house was awful, day we moved in the house stank and was so dirty. The carpets were covered in brown stains and as we later discovered, were caused by the previous occupants dog being doubly incontinent. Lovely.

Cooker had apparently been condemmed several years before we moved in, kitchen was as old as the house - approx 30 years old. Mould was growing in downstairs loo and cupboards. Bathroom was very basic and had no shower.

However, Kingston was lovely and I had a great 3 years in The Keep, despite house. By the time we left, had new carpets, shower and cooker also mould had gone and we left the house in far better condition.

Scootergrrrl Wed 23-Jul-08 19:33:21

We had friends in the Keep and they had a crappy house but put up with it for Richmond Park and the other stuff round and about.

Berryred Wed 23-Jul-08 19:39:04

the list of things to fix shouldn't be there when you MOVE IN

RAF BTW

cali Wed 23-Jul-08 19:49:56

That's how I felt too, was out in Richmond Park every day and the shopping was great. Nice pubs and walks by the Thames. They definitely helped to make up for the house.

Romy7 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:00:27

well, ours isn't bad - if we owned it it would be fantastic, because the things that are wrong with it (ancient grey chipboard bathroom furniture that has swollen with age and damp showing uncleanable edges - inadequate fan so black mould growing round the bath/ceiling)would be so easily fixed and improved. The damp, nasty outhouses are begging to be turned into a proper utility room with the addition of a proper roof etc etc. That said, we'd never be able to afford it on the open market - the garden is huge, and despite the work needed to drag the kitchen/ bathroom out of the 1950s, it'd fetch 400k at least in this area... dh is pensionable now, but the prospect of having to buy a house here is a nightmare! I'll stick with my chipboard and miniscule cooker until we work out what's next!

herbietea Thu 24-Jul-08 09:03:56

Message withdrawn

Romy7 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:10:30

that makes me laugh herbie - it'd never occur to them to lose the woodchip - far easier to paint over it - again!

littlelapin Thu 24-Jul-08 09:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herbietea Thu 24-Jul-08 09:15:57

Message withdrawn

Romy7 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:22:29

ll - the old ones at shriv are still woodchip... the new ones are those nice chalk ones that go into self destruct if you have the temerity to hang a picture...

herbie - i'm betting they do that here for the next occupant too - we've had additional rails etc for dd2, and i just know they are all going to get ripped out and chucked. i'm thinking of asking them to do it before we go and taking it all to the next place...

Romy7 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:23:03

patchwork woodchip.... only in the military....

littlelapin Thu 24-Jul-08 09:32:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

herbietea Thu 24-Jul-08 09:34:43

Message withdrawn

Romy7 Thu 24-Jul-08 09:46:12

herbie - most of ours are so mahoosive that i live in constant fear of them bringing down a MQ wall... but i'm a bit of an 'arrangement' girl myself for the rest... fortunately dh does as he's told, but it does take us months and months to get the pics up when we move... and then i change my mind half way through a tour and move everything, so we have to fill holes and start again... i really should quell my itchy feet thing...

TinkyPixie Thu 24-Jul-08 18:07:19

LL - are you moving to Shriv for Sept? Have you been allocated your MQ yet?
I think we may be heading for some lovely woodchip hmm

kerryk Thu 24-Jul-08 19:23:38

I hate Army houses because....

the house came with two noisy, whinging, grumpy little children who i cant seem to shake off me.

oh hang on a minute maybe we brought them from the last house hmm

kerryk Thu 24-Jul-08 19:24:29

can you tell its been a long hard (and very noisy) day?

cali Thu 24-Jul-08 19:40:44

Had forgotten about the patchwork woodchipsmile.

Our dog [admits to 1 black lab] didn't help, walls in The Keep were apparently made with some sort of bonemeal in the plaster and a lot of dogs used to lick the walls. Our dog took it a stage further and actually managed to chew a hole in the wall????
I did a crash course in self taught plastering to repair the damage - wasn't picked up when we marched out.
Have no idea how he managed this as it was almost impossible to hang pictures on the walls.

Berryred Thu 24-Jul-08 20:02:11

ohh woodchip how could I forget!!! finding the magic magnoila to match! now there a challengehmm

and picture rails! is that what they are lol, I have always nailed into the walls and has hubby go mad grin he pays the bills

twoplusone Thu 24-Jul-08 21:47:34

Littlelapin-just a quick word of advise.. I had my surveyor round the other day and he noticed that I had packed some boxes.. he did ask if i had pack fragiles and advised me not to, as I wouldnt be insured for them in the move if i had packed them myself, he alsio stated that my own insurance wouldnt cover for the move either.. which I cant quite get my head round, as if ihad to move my self i would be... But just thougt I would mention it.

Re the army houses, I cant complain about the one I am in it is gorgeous, and HUGE.I will never get another one like this at all. I have two bath rooms upstairs, one with a bath and over head shower and wc, and they other with a wc and walk in shower, and another wc downstairs. A big kitchen with a dinner, then a huge front room, woth another room ajoined just slighty smaller, a utility room, big hall, way long landing, 2 huge bedrooms, 2 good siize bedrooms.. All fully pumad. The house originally two 2bedroomed houses.. that has been knocked into one.

The new house, as I have said before is ok.. managable but tiny. compared to this one and dd her new bedroom is 2meters by 2.7meters.. How can they call that a bedroom, the landing is bigger..ffs.

But never mnd.. it means I can shop for a new bed and stuff for her.. and have had to get theboys new stuff so there bedding etc matches.

Romy7 Fri 25-Jul-08 12:10:59

cali - our dogs have pretty much totalled the wall next to the kitchen door (admitting - v blush to 1 x black, 1 x brown lab <sadly acknowledges stereotype>)
wonder if it's the same wall thing? couldn't work out why it was so seemingly delicious?! had just put it down to puppydom (like the kitchen cupboard we're going to get billed for unless dh's MFI surfing comes up with the goods)
we gave up with magnolia matching at shriv - they told us which one to buy (allegedly) so we did, but it was completely different to what was on the walls. methinks the contractors use a cheaper version or water it down....

TinkyPixie Fri 25-Jul-08 13:42:20

Romy - did you find a magnolia which vaguely matched? i was just going to buy dulux - is there one which is better?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now