Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ahh, accident with carpet?

(6 Posts)
pinkdolly Thu 17-Jul-08 21:09:53

It's a bit long winded. Basically we are in I think it's classed as ssfa. Our estate was closed down due to safety and we all had to go into private as no MQ available.

We have lived here for just over a year. Ever since we moved we have had recurrent issues with the boiler breaking down and having no heating or hot water. On one of these occasions I got a portable heater and wacked it in the living room. My kids were freezing and sat huddled in front of it.

After about 15 minutes I noticed a funny smell and then realised it had scorched the carpet. It's a thick pile so didn't go right through but has left a horrible mark.

I then realise I forgot to add carpets on to my insurance when we moved in, so am uninsured.

Is there anyway I can get round having to fork out for a new carpet, it's a big room and I dread to think how much it will cost. Could I plead the heating probs and say it technically wasn't our fault.

Obviously this happended over the winter have just been sticking my head in the sand about it. Cant believe it happened.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

kerryk Fri 18-Jul-08 10:17:09

can you not add carpets to insurance then claim in a few months blush

Rubyrubyruby Fri 18-Jul-08 10:19:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MouseMate Fri 18-Jul-08 11:18:55

Has is scorched right thru, or could you razor blade the scorched bits off?

pinkdolly Fri 18-Jul-08 12:18:50

Kerry- That's what dh suggested-not sure how right that feels tho.

Mouse- no it hasn't scorched right through, but is rather flat looking compared to the nice fluffy pile of the rest of it. Feel I may have to just replace it. arrgh.

Scootergrrrl Fri 18-Jul-08 12:20:59

Ask the Army Families Federation - if DHE hadn't put you in a crappy house with broken heating this wouldn't have happened. Am v angry on your behalf. Is it fixed now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now