Talk

Advanced search

When an MQ is not available....

(11 Posts)
hf128219 Fri 04-Jul-08 17:13:32

OK, say there are no MQ's within a certain radius. I know then that MOD will offer a hiring (alternative accommodation, whatever you like to call it!)

I also know that MOD pay the difference between the hiring rent and the MQ rent so you are not out of pocket.

Does anyone know what the maximum rent is for a hiring that they would be willing to pay or how they calculate it?

Answers most appreciated! Thanks!

pootleflump Fri 04-Jul-08 17:21:58

Yes, regardless of the condition, size etc of your hiring you will pay Grade 1 accommodation charges. So if it's a 3 bedroom you will pay the same as you'd pay for a 3 bedroom grade 1 MQ- which is quite a lot.

I've had 2 hirings and wouldn't want to do it again tbh.

pootleflump Fri 04-Jul-08 17:24:49

Sorry think I misread the question. You'd have to speak to your Countrywide office about that one. Basically they have a ceiling price that they will pay but it differs all over as obviously a 3 bed in London would not be the same rental as a 3 bed in Bolton. I was in the midlands and I think the ceiling price was something like £575 for a 3 bed- which didn't get you much.

herbietea Fri 04-Jul-08 18:37:44

Message withdrawn

hf128219 Fri 04-Jul-08 18:51:20

It's a long story. Despite my DH going to be CO, there is no CO's house! Yes, I know it is bizarre.

pootleflump Fri 04-Jul-08 18:54:43

In that case then, I'm sure you'll have no problem with your budget - it'll be whopping!

hf128219 Fri 04-Jul-08 18:56:59

They will still have a ceiling - I just want to know what it is. At least I could do a little bit of my own research. I am not that fussed about size - within reason - it's the sodding location for nursery and train station etc.

Drusilla Sun 06-Jul-08 12:22:02

JSP doesn't actually tell you what you want to know but might tell you where to find out?

scaryteacher Mon 07-Jul-08 14:43:58

Well, we're in Brussels in a 4bed hiring. We pay £382.20 qtr, £148.80 ciloct, £24.00 garage rent, £100.20 fuel and light overseas. If we were renting this privately it would be euro 2200 per month plus bills. DH is RN Cdr, but this was an RAF Group Captain's house before us, and DHs boss (Army Col) has much the same size place as we do (newer and better kitchen though!). In euro we pay 852.80, and the MOD picks up the rest.

I hate to think what they are paying for the v nice places that the 2 Brit milreps live in - I'd happily pay MQ rates for either, as both are gorgeous.....I don't suppose they'd give me a cook or a steward either!

scaryteacher Mon 07-Jul-08 14:45:12

That euro 852.80 includes the ciloct etc.

hf128219 Sat 16-Aug-08 22:23:52

Just for info there is no rental ceiling anymore - it is based on square metres/feet.

We have been able to chose our own SFA - within their guidelines. For a Type III it is 155 square metres/1800 square feet/4 bedrooms, sitting room, dining room, kitchen, utility room etc.

Within 10 miles of the posting is the other criteria. And they can ask for a financial contribution if they think it is appropriate.

Alas no pool/tennis court/yoga studio - there are some limitations! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now