Talk

Advanced search

Royal Marines TV Series - "Commando - on the Front Line" - starts Thursday

(63 Posts)
littlelapin Mon 17-Sep-07 11:14:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

heifer Mon 17-Sep-07 11:28:59

Oh looks interesting..

My DH and I postposed our honeymoon so we could go and watch a friend of ours at his passing out parade..

Was worth the delay, it was a very proud day for him (he was expected to go to uni etc as his brother and sister etc) but he had found his thing..

He did well do but recently come out into civi street..

He is the only person I know in the forces, so no idea how accurate his account of things are grin will be interesting to see (although he tells me that the training is much easier now than in his day, but I guess each generation of Marines have said the same thing)...

littlelapin Mon 17-Sep-07 13:50:09

kerrykatona Mon 17-Sep-07 14:40:58

it looks good, i have got strict instructions from dh to dvd it for him, he has still not forgiven me for forgetting to record the last series of ultimate force for him when he was in iraq so i better remember to do this blush

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 18-Sep-07 14:40:29

Oh god, what is it with Ultimate Force, Dh insists on watching it and them whittering on about how inaccurate it is grin

kerrykatona Tue 18-Sep-07 15:42:56

yes thats exactley why my dh wants me to tape it, so that he can rip it to shreads. infact he even calls it "ultimate farce" but still insists on watching it.

saltire Tue 18-Sep-07 20:59:06

So we have had programmes about the Army (such as Guarding the Queen) and now the Marines. Is there something wrong with the RAF?

saltire Tue 18-Sep-07 20:59:32

In fact - no one answer thatwink

kerrykatona Wed 19-Sep-07 08:30:00

there was a programme on last yer about the raf pilots, sure it was called top guns or something.

infact maybe it was just shown in scotland, im sure it was filmed at lossiemouth and was shown on stv. it was good though, a couple of really fit ones in it grin

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 08:46:31

There has been a few programmes about the RAF but they have all been regional ones,like the one kerrykatona is talking about. Most of the RAF is that nailbitingly exciting for reality tv. Aircrew training is pretty difficult and a lot of them get chopped, but it takes YEARS so would be a huge commitment for a tv company to film. Some tv company came to film the officer cadets training at Cranwell whilst I was there as a Flight Commander. I think they got quite frustrated as they had very limited access. The powers that be didn't want anyone failing because of the extra pressure of a tv crew following them around....and the people they chose to follow and interview were total gimps!

What would be interesting would be filming the engineers trying to keep the aging aircraft in the skies by 'borrowing' parts of other aircraft and (literally) bodge taping bits together....but I don't think the media liaison people at the RAF want that filmed for some reason....

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 08:46:59

ISN'T that nailbitingly exciting blush

littlelapin Wed 19-Sep-07 08:59:10

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 09:06:00

Cranberry sounds much nicer and fluffier! Was your sister an air trafficer?

littlelapin Wed 19-Sep-07 09:09:44

saltire Wed 19-Sep-07 09:13:27

Ah but you see pilots = officers!. Cranwell = officers, Red Arrows hmm= Officers. They haven't done a programme on the guys on the ground, the aircrew who have to get the jets ready, or the regiment, or other aspects of the RAF <tries to think of some>

Actually I know why they haven't, because people would then see how they have to try and make Tornados, Nimrods etc fly when half the bits are missing, engines don't work and they are taking parts from other planes just to be able to get 1 or 2 airborne!

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 09:16:57

Saltire, read the end of my post...I agree entirely!

Obviously they only wnat the officers to speak on camera...who knows what the junior ranks might say...?hmm

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 09:18:29

Its a long shot, but I knew a navy atc girl at Cranwell in 2005, who was working in the tower at Cranwell. Her boyfriend was in the navy, but I never asked what he did....wasn't her was it?

AdmiralLapinWaivesTheRules Wed 19-Sep-07 09:47:08

Could have been, she was there then-ish... although I'm not sure if they had started going out then. Her name's Katie

saltire Wed 19-Sep-07 09:48:47

notymummy, If they asked DH anything when he was having a bad, God knows what he would tell them. It would be enough to make 2 episodesgrin

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 10:01:59

I will have to ask dh, because he knew this girl better than me...they lived in Daedalus mess together and used to go boozing in the bar. Dh was there on a course and became best mates wirh a navy guy called Rob, who is a helicopter observer. He say he would give me a ring around 10pm and then phone slaughtered because the two of them had been drinking single malt since 7....I blame the Navy for leading him astray grin

AdmiralLapinWaivesTheRules Wed 19-Sep-07 10:03:40

LOL! No, that's not my sis then, but I DO know Rob!

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 10:08:01

OMG what a small world! Rob and Jo were at our wedding in 2005, and we are going to Bath in November to see them and the boys and show off dd for the first time.

Geez....mind you, theres not that many observers left so I suppose not a huge number to choose from.

You don't know a Phil Lyle do you? RN helicopter pilot who retired 2/3 years ago as a Commander I think. He is Dh's Uncle (and a bit of a prat...but thats a whole other story). He taught Price Andrew to fly many moons ago...

Notyummy Wed 19-Sep-07 10:08:52

err..that will be PRINCE Andrew. Price Andrew may be a nicer bloke..

flossie64 Wed 19-Sep-07 10:09:13

Not yummy- sorry to but in but I have seen your name on the lincoln thread aswell. My Dh is in the RAF as well . He was at waddo but now at High Wycombe. Also was in Daedalus mess at one time , when he did an exchange with the Navy. He worked as an observer hmm lots of coicidences smile

saltire Wed 19-Sep-07 10:10:56

Prince Andrew, otherwise known as air miles Andy!
He used to fly into the base where we lived a lot to go and play golf, sometimes 2 or 3 times a month. Once him and the duke of Kent were there at the same time, but had different helicopters, both coming from London to same place and going back to London. Waste of money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now