Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody else have a power of attorney?

(5 Posts)
laura032004 Mon 10-Sep-07 21:49:18

We're just about to get one as DH is going onto submarines soon. Just thought it was worth mentioning as the solicitors said that the cost of getting one will rise significantly on the 1st (?) October, and that they will be a lot more difficult to get.

RuthChan Tue 11-Sep-07 00:28:39

I gave my father power of attorney over all my affairs before I moved to Japan 8 years ago.
It has proved very useful as it allows him to deal with banks etc on my behalf.
He doesn't use it very often, but it's good to know that he can.

FCH Tue 11-Sep-07 12:21:53

Yes - we have one. The requirements of the document is what is changing - apparently it is going to change from being a pretty standard 5 page form to about 20 pages of far more specific information, making it much more expensive to prepare. Provided you are happy to trust the person to whom you are giving the power they are a brilliant idea - and there is no need to lodge the power with the court so effectively you can draw up the form and then it just sits dormant until needed.

littlelapin Tue 11-Sep-07 12:23:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hulababy Tue 11-Sep-07 12:29:08

Way EPAs are done will change at the end of this month.

"But from October 1st, it will be replaced by "Lasting Power of Attorney". This will be over 20 pages long and much more expensive to arrange"

An EPA is a very powerful legal document and although you can get DIY forms from some places they are not the best way of going about them. IMO you should see a solicitor if wanting an EPA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now