Talk

Advanced search

Hello Everyone :-)

(15 Posts)
Eildiina Fri 24-Aug-07 22:21:26

Just wanted to say Hello to everyone, have been told about this site by a friend in Quarters she thought it would be helpfull for me.

My husband is in the RAF and left for Basrah 18 days ago leaving me with a 9 year old and a 5 month old. This is his first tour away since we have been married. We are living in a small town called Driffield in East Yorkshire which is about 150 miles away from any of my family.

Have had a bad day today hence why my friend was round keep me company for a few hours.
I did not realise how hard it would be to adjust to being a single mum.

MarsLady Sat 25-Aug-07 01:14:58

Hi Eildiina

Welcome to MN. It's the summer hols so it isn't as busy as normal. But welcome anyway smile

I'm not a "forces sweetheart" just wanted to say hi!

fortyplus Sat 25-Aug-07 01:17:00

Hi - just about to go to bed but thought I'd post as my BIL was in Basra a while ago. SIL lives on a base - do you?

KerryMumbledore Sat 25-Aug-07 01:25:06

Hi and welcome!

smile

NormaStanleyFletcher Sat 25-Aug-07 07:37:47

Hello and welcome smile

My DH is in the RAF too, but doesn't really do the kind of job that would send him to basra, so I feel for you. The worst we have had is the 5 months falklands trip. How long is he due to be away for?

Eildiina Sat 25-Aug-07 09:25:54

Thanks for your kind welcomes. I live in quarters but the base was shut many years ago so we lack alot of support which some bases have like the HIVE, Social club, tea mornings etc.

He is away for 4 months so all being well will be back to see his sons first Christmas.

I have had to stop watching the news as anything on telly about Basrah I just panic.

The kids keep me busy espcially as the little one has just started teething lol.

samandtomsmum Sat 25-Aug-07 19:54:48

hi eidiina
hi and welcomesmile

wizzbangwallopwhatapicture Sat 25-Aug-07 20:44:16

Chin up kiddo (Eildiina), I did 12 years in the Navy and now a SAHM and let me tell you it is definitely harder being here and listening to stuff rather than being there and doing it.

Time will fly and the RAF look after there men & women real well. Try not to dwell on the time left to go but more on sending a letter or email a day or week when you can, it is great to get letters even if there are phones and email these days, letters last in the pocket and can be reread and hugged and usually put under a pillow. Get the kids to scribble on a bluey, he'll love it.

Switch off the news, it wont help.

keep smiling.. wink

glucose Sun 26-Aug-07 12:04:21

Hi there
Have you been living there long? It takes me a while to get use to new places we have had 7 homes in 10 years of married (Army) life some I have hated, some I have loved, never tried Driffield though. The tours never get much easier, I am so pleased that your husband is going to be at home for Xmas. Once your 9yo is back at school maybe there will be a little more of a routine, and this term is all about the lead up to Xmas, so it will be a big countdown to Xmas and Daddy coming home. Thing of you

mylastrolo Sun 26-Aug-07 12:35:25

hi elidina, and welcome. hubby is just back from basra and it was tough there is no easy way. I was just like you at the start but after a few weeks you get into a routine.

I never watched news stuck head in sand and that helped alot got me through.

mumsnet is great as it is tough being so far from any family help.
ebluey's are great as they are printed in a sealed envelope. I hope things get better for you. keep posting on here to let off some steam it helps. [hugs] to you.

HomeintheSun Fri 31-Aug-07 23:29:17

Hi Eildiina, I am in the same boat (sort of) DH went back to the UK on Wednesday and is staying with his parents for a few more hours before he flighs to Basra for 4 months. We have an 8mth DS and I am a 5 hour flight away from my family, I have a couple for friends here but no one that I've really clicked with. I am very worried that I'm not going to be able to cope, I am on AD for PND and over the last few days my DS has started waking alot at night, I'm not sleeping that well and I feel really down, worried and DH's 4 months hasn't even started yet. Maybe we could get through the next few months supporting each other.

littlelapin Sun 02-Sep-07 21:20:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iimaan Sat 27-Aug-11 17:04:14

hi everyone

iimaan Sat 27-Aug-11 17:06:31

Hi! I am a mum and I have 4 beautiful children

madwomanintheattic Mon 29-Aug-11 01:59:50

iimaan, you might want to start a new thread - this one is really old. not sure if you have a dh in basra or there was another reason you posted on this one?

these folk will all be long back. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now