Talk

Advanced search

I don't understand why people don't speak to newcomers. We've all been there!?!

(6 Posts)
mylastrolo Sun 08-Jul-07 23:31:58

Just felt for this girl who came to my d/d party today. I was very busy obviously. it was exactly the same for me when i first got here. I don't understand the weirdness of it. She said i was the first person to speak to her in 2 months when i first said hi at nursery ..

VeronicaMars Sun 08-Jul-07 23:38:28

Maybe her buggy just wasn't trendy enough! That's what it's like at dd's playgroup. Gives me a pain in the arse. I just don't bother with them I just play around with dd which is the point anyway. I notice a lot of mothers standing around on hteir own so I talk to them but there is that little crowd that sit in the corner and discuss who slept the most the night before.

jcscot Mon 09-Jul-07 07:59:21

I've found things to be worse in civvie street. We moved into to our own home and (apart from my next door neighbour and the resident nosy parker three doors down) I've yet to even speak to any of the other folk in the street - despite nodding and waving and saying hello.

I went with my son to the local playgroup and spent the two hours sitting watching him play - not one person spoke to me. Eventually, one girl did speak to me but I gave up going in the end.

Things were far friendlier on the patch.

saltire Mon 09-Jul-07 08:29:03

I always make the effort to speak to newcomers - pity my new neighbours didn't have the same idea!

However, there is the other side of the coin - the newcomers who don't want to speak.
I had a neighbour where I used to live who never spoke to anyone, you could pass inches from her and say "hello" and she would turn her head. It wasn't just me, almost every other person on the street commented on her and how she never spoke to anyone. What annoyed me though was she would go into the HIVE, or the nursery and cry saying she was lonely and no one would speak to her.

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 09-Jul-07 08:30:58

I dont speak to anyone, so, I think I'm pretty evenhanded

mylastrolo Mon 09-Jul-07 11:57:35

I don't know "Nought as funny as folk" I th ink they all think i am a bit simple as i smile and speak to everyone I from friendly place well that's just the way i am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now