Talk

Advanced search

Can I find out if someone was in the army?

(19 Posts)
GreatBigWindow Sun 15-Oct-17 06:44:47

Is it possible to find out if someone has ever served in the army - as a member of the public, rather than by asking the person I mean?

LadyFairfaxSake Tue 17-Oct-17 10:56:33

Ask them their army number, they should be able to rattle it off. Ask them their unit, they should be able to name company, battalion & regiment.
Look at the Army Rumour Service, they may be able to suggest sources of information about previous service.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 17-Oct-17 10:58:32

Is this person claiming they were in the army? If so have they given any info such as regiment etc.?

GreatBigWindow Wed 18-Oct-17 15:24:32

Thanks - yes they claim (and have done publicly) to have served and I don't believe them. Pretty sure they would never have passed the medical.
I can't ask them directly, I'll check out the rumour service. Thanks again smile

retirednow Wed 18-Oct-17 15:51:42

If you have your doubts then is it really appropriate to ask around, maybe there is a reason they are telling this story and is it something anyone really needs to know unless it's really essential.

M4Dad Wed 18-Oct-17 15:54:40

From experience there is quite a few people who do this. I've met someone who said he was in the RAF, "where were you stationed and when I asked" hoping to make some conversation "oh, only RAF Swinderby, I left after 5 weeks because I didn't like basic training"

To him though, he had served in the RAF. Strange.

To answer the OP, you need his service number to be sure of anything.

mpsw Wed 18-Oct-17 16:13:39

You could google for the regimental/corps association and see if he's mentioned on any of their events, or if they have a 'find a friend' type function, try enquiring (they can be a bit cagey about giving out people's details, but often agree to forward plausible reunion requests)

People might be cagey about service number if they use it as a password, but it's something everyone can rattle off.

Does he have friends/acquaintances from military days - people don't always stay in close touch, but they know each other.

Are there group pictures of him in uniform, or in an identifiable military sports team?

Are there bits of (usually very random) memorabilia in his pad?

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 18-Oct-17 16:27:23

You can try the Walter Mitty Hunters Club too - especially if they are lying for gain, there's a chance they may have been caught out before...

M4Dad Wed 18-Oct-17 16:29:18

Walter Mitty Hunters Club

yeah, that's a bit extreme if he's only blagging to make himself look good to be fair

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 18-Oct-17 16:40:44

@M4Dad I did say "if they are lying for gain" - people who bullshit about one thing like that often bullshit about others, unfortunately.

M4Dad Wed 18-Oct-17 16:42:05

Sorry, I wasn't having a go.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 18-Oct-17 16:43:55

@M4Dad me neither grin

TiesThatBindMe Wed 18-Oct-17 16:46:09

I had someone tell me they served 6 months in jail for being involved in a crime for the IRA. Found out that he couldn't possibly have as minimum sentence for membership is 6 years. The bollix. A lot of Irish men try to let on they were in the IRA the fucking eejits as they think it makes them look like big bad boys not to be messed with or something.

GreatBigWindow Wed 18-Oct-17 17:02:29

No pictures, no forces friends or acquaintances, no memorabilia.

Is there a minimum term of service? I don't think the dates add up with what else he was doing around the time.

SpecialAgentP Tue 24-Oct-17 21:58:52

You only have to have served for a day to be entitled to help from any of the armed forces benevolent funds! Many people claim to have served and never passed out of basic training.
Being former serving RN this does infuriate me. Especially is they are trying to gain from claiming to be a veteran.

GreatBigWindow Tue 24-Oct-17 22:08:42

Gosh - that's incredible. Can see why it infuriates you.

I read somewhere that you had to sign up for minimum 4yrs - is that not the case? The training is quite lengthy isn't it?

SpecialAgentP Tue 24-Oct-17 22:34:30

I read somewhere that you had to sign up for minimum 4yrs - is that not the case? The training is quite lengthy isn't it?

Depends on the service you’ve joined and which branch you’ve signed up to. Royal Naval basic training for me was 8 weeks followed by 18 months medical branch training.

Some people don’t make it through training for many reasons and are still considered as having “served” most of those who don’t complete training are honest about why.

silverbell64 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:48:21

If you have doubts you need to be out.

silverbell64 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:49:35

Why would you have to find out? Is it some bloke on the internet telling you this? If so block delete and never ever speak to them again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now