Talk

Advanced search

16 year old DD (lower spectrum Autism/Aspergers) desperate to join Royal Navy

(8 Posts)
rainbowkids Wed 26-Apr-17 21:50:35

Hi. I know this is a long shot but thought I'd try and see if anyone maybe has any experience with this situation. My DD was diagnosed September 2016. Right now she is in college doing art. What she'd really want to do is join the Royal Navy. She's in the process of working on getting fit according to what they expect and preparing herself for the online application. What I'm wanting to know is has anybody else gone through this and is able to share their experience please? We are hoping she gets a chance to join as this is where her heart lies.

PickAChew Wed 26-Apr-17 22:00:35

Google asd royal navy. There's a list of conditions that preclude entry and ASD is on it.

PickAChew Wed 26-Apr-17 22:11:45

Could only find pdfs on my phone, but this might work
www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/266576/response/651679/attach/3/20131009%20JSP%20950%206%207%204%20AnnexL%20Psychiatry%20Nov13%20U.pdf

rainbowkids Wed 26-Apr-17 22:42:20

Thank you. Hoping i hear from any personal experiences as well.

jcscot Wed 26-Apr-17 22:49:48

I'm afraid that having an Autistic disorder means you can't join the Forces at all (as per the link above). Sorry.

dotdotdotmustdash Wed 26-Apr-17 22:54:45

I don't think you'll get any personal experiences as a diagnosis of ASD will prevent anyone from joining the forces. Ds20 has an ASD diagnosis and the last place he would thrive would be the forces.

wigglybeezer Fri 12-May-17 08:59:14

It's definitely on the list of conditions that bar entry, My DS1 is in training ATM and I remember the forms.
I actually think he has at least some autistic traits ( his brother has a HFA DX so I have experience) but I held back on persuing a DX as I felt any benefit to him was marginal and I had a feeling he might want to join the armed forces at some point. I'm glad I did now, he is finding it challenging but he will get trained and earn his own money in a structured environment. Not very helpful to you I'm afraid, I think it's a shame as I feel there are some roles that would actually suit a few people with HFA.

PollytheDolly Fri 12-May-17 09:19:52

I agree wiggly. I have HFA but didn't know until later in life. I joined the TA when I was 30 and it was a great experience for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now