Talk

Advanced search

Passout Parade

(6 Posts)
SELWOSJ Mon 20-Feb-17 11:37:20

My son is currently on basic training with The Royal Navy. His passout parade is April 28th . I need to know if he comes home with me for a few days or does he have to stay at HMS Raleigh after the parade. I need to know as my car will be full so I my need to hire a larger car.
Thanks

scaryteacher Tue 21-Feb-17 15:32:47

Ask him, he should know if he has to stay on board, or if he gets leave before his next posting. NB , whilst they may literally pass out if it is hot, it is called a passing out parade.

ChampagneCharley Wed 22-Feb-17 21:29:38

Yes they are free to go home that day for the weekend at least. It then depends whether they are going somewhere else or coming back to Raleigh to hold over until their next course.
Make sure you wear something warm as it can get cold and I've seen lots of people All dressed up and freezing. Also flat shoes are good as many people go down onto the grass to get a close photo as they match past the stands. Don't forget tissues, as you'll be crying buckets with pride. Have a great day! 😊

Aebj Thu 23-Feb-17 01:02:02

Depends on where there next training will be.
We were as such free the Friday pm but had to be back as we travelled to Portsmouth the next day ( although we then had the weekend off).
Best to check. Also book accommodation quickly if you plan on staying the Friday night

littleoldladywho Thu 23-Feb-17 01:08:06

Do you Navy types not have a party then? I vaguely recall parade during the day, formal do in the evening then possibly a couple of days off? Some had longer but not much - pretty much straight to next training. He should know, anyway (although a long way to go yet, so maybe they aren't confirming until much closer to the time? A lot can change in a couple of months)

scaryteacher Fri 24-Feb-17 07:36:54

There was a ball after dbs passing out parade, but it was Ceremonial Divisions at BRNC, with the Princess Royal taking the salute! Didn't know dh when he passed out of Dartmouth, think I was 14 at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now